Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

With Oriental games, most of them you have to be careful with the hens being able to get to each other, let alone cocks. Results will vary from one line to another. Don't really know why Sumatras get lumped in with Oriental games, they are more of an ornamental gamefowl derivative. I have asil hens that will severely damage each other, or males that don't suit them. I have Thais that get along, as long as they have ample space. Most of them will end up in a tree, or on top of a coop, rather than in a coop, if left to their own choices.

Does that mean asil hens can't free range? Since they will attack each other? Will they attack normal laying hens as well?

My Malay stag named Rex. He turned a year old in April.

Attachments

• rex.jpg
    rex.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 48
Does that mean asil hens can't free range? Since they will attack each other? Will they attack normal laying hens as well?
A lot of it depends on age, cycle of brooding, and available space, but I don't trust my pure asil adult hens around others of her kind. They do fine with barnyard fowl, the barnyard fowl learn quick to give them a wide birth. Sometimes you will have problems with barnyard roosters. If asil hen decides that big rhode island red is not a worthy mate, things can go badly for him, and as she is smaller there is nowhere the rooster can crawl to get away from her.

As I keep watching the videos out of Pakistan and India, I am trying to find out how they are keeping the chicks. What is of particular interest is the feed that would be nice to replicate. Overall, the chicks over there look better than those I have seen in the states. Also interesting to see they can keep them in groups without fighting. They know something about managing the little guys I do not know.

@centrarchid did you ever get Malays? Was under the impression that was a target bird for you.

I am going to settle on Aseel as they are available and I found a fellow near st. Louis that will school me up. I do not have resources for a lot of these guys so will keep them near house and do extra to protect them from elements.

Back
Top Bottom