Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

20210113_145054.jpg
reynolds asil

I have a question.
I have a Shamo/Thai stag that was like a puppy. I always picked him up and carried him, pet him. My kids pet him too. He started showing aggression towards my kids around 8 months old and I chalked it up to new hormones. But now that he is over a year he just wants to go after and attack every human he sees; even me sometimes. He only attacks me if my husband or kids walk up to the fence from the other side, but today he didn't stop attacking me after my kids walked away from the fence. He went after my legs, my back, and then my face. I have no idea what made him snap and hate people. All of my other Shamo leave everyone alone.

I've tried picking g him up and holding him for prolonged periods of time; even with him biting at my arms (it hurts and he draws blood). I've also tried showing dominance like I do with my other rooster, but he never backs down. Is there a way I can fix this or does he really have to go to the soup pot?

IMO, it can’t be fixed when it sets in hard. Its not a gamefowl thing as much as it is a condition that can effect any rooster. I am coming to think it has more to do with a rooster imprinting on humans as a chick than it is any other one factor. If he’s the only one you have, I’d get some chicks off of him then terminate him. If you have other roosters like him but friendly, breed those and discard him now.

IMO, it can’t be fixed when it sets in hard. Its not a gamefowl thing as much as it is a condition that can effect any rooster. I am coming to think it has more to do with a rooster imprinting on humans as a chick than it is any other one factor. If he’s the only one you have, I’d get some chicks off of him then terminate him. If you have other roosters like him but friendly, breed those and discard him now.
That makes sense. He was the favorite and everyone loved on him. Hatched him from our incubator from shipped eggs. That really sucks that my family and I loving on him most likely ruined him. I guess I will be more hands off with all of my chickens. I feel so bad now. It's mainly my fault, so I will dispatch him myself. I have multiple hatches from him and many more in my incubator. I won't make the same mistake with them. Thank you for your honest insight.

I handle roosters extensively and they need to be safe around human youth in public. My birds are used for educational purposes a lot. Some are imprinting on humans as hand-raised or brooder-raised, but most are hen-raised which are not imprinted on humans. I do not have man-fighting with any of those systems, although I can turn just about any rooster into a man-fighter with very little effort. All I have to do is start engaging him as part of a pecking order and wallah, he becomes a man-fighter pretty quickly. Most people keeping roosters on this site, especially that are "experts on rooster keeping" do very much what I suggest not to do and they have lots of experience with man-fighters and tend to be strong proponents of freezer camp for problematic roosters.

That makes sense. He was the favorite and everyone loved on him. Hatched him from our incubator from shipped eggs. That really sucks that my family and I loving on him most likely ruined him. I guess I will be more hands off with all of my chickens. I feel so bad now. It's mainly my fault, so I will dispatch him myself. I have multiple hatches from him and many more in my incubator. I won't make the same mistake with them. Thank you for your honest insight.

You are welcome. Although I mostly breed off of friendly roosters, I have bred off of human aggressive roosters and the aggressiveness didn’t pass on. I have also sent eggs to people off of the confirmed friendly roosters and they have sometimes produced human aggressive roosters. The common denominator I’ve seen in all circumstances was incubator-hatched chicks and lots of human interaction, even if its just children constantly peaking in on the chicks.

What causes me to suspect imprinting has been what I’ve observed with heritage domestic turkeys. I hatched out a flock of heritage turkeys in an incubator and they all imprinted on me from peaking in on them as they hatched. The tom had to be slaughtered due to his aggression and all the hens squat for me to breed them whenever I walk near them. They clearly see me as the dominant tom and the actual tom saw me as a rival. That wouldn’t happen but for imprinting, not to the degree that they invite me to breed them.

Although I do not believe the imprinting instinct is as strong on domestic chickens, I do believe it is present and best explains what otherwise appears to be a randomness with manfighting.

Back
Top Bottom