orloffer's Spoo Puppy thread! šŸ©

Just another puppy picture from the breeder. She got them all sitting at the same time!
1618965998021.png

I'm glad you're getting a std poodle. I really like them a lot. I'm actually a professional groomer though and I'm dying laughing at those hairstyles :lau
Those hairstyles require an incredible amount of technical skill and would easily take me 3 hours and some change to do on a decent sized poodle.
I've seen some really decent home grooms but be forewarned I spend a fair amount of my time fixing at home haircuts lolol.
Seriously though make sure you start with grooming asap. The younger they are the easier it is to train them. Clippers and scissors are awful sharp so if you don't feel comfortable please find a professional. It's a good idea to talk to ppl and get referrals now rather than waiting till your puppy is 6 months old, wild and covered in mats and has to get a shave down for it's first groom.
And just a suggestion, clothes (and anything that causes friction) will cause tangles to form really quickly on a poodle. Make sure you have a brush and a greyhound comb. I tell my clients that If they can't get a comb through their dogs hair I can't get a guard comb through it to give them a cute fluffy haircut.

Good luck with your baby. Puppies are the best.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're getting a std poodle. I really like them a lot. I'm actually a professional groomer though and I'm dying laughing at those hairstyles :lau
Those hairstyles require an incredible amount of technical skill and would easily take me 3 hours and some change to do on a decent sized poodle.
My favorite poodle hairstyle is just short all over with some topknot, ears, and possibly tail. That is a good thing, as those fancy hairstyles mentioned earlier in the thread are definitely out of reach for us and not very practical either. We want to try to groom the puppy ourselves, but I am aware that trying for the first time on a bouncy puppy will not be very easy.
Seriously though make sure you start with grooming asap. The younger they are the easier it is to train them. Clippers and scissors are awful sharp so if you don't feel comfortable please find a professional. It's a good idea to talk to ppl and get referrals now rather than waiting till your puppy is 6 months old, wild and covered in mats and has to get a shave down for it's first groom.
We are researching and planning to get some grooming tools, including a table. I am very anxious about the grooming, particularly the face and feet. We'll just have to try, though, and keep practicing. If it turns out to be necessary to go to a professional groomer, there is one quite near us we could go to.
And just a suggestion, clothes (and anything that causes friction) will cause tangles to form really quickly on a poodle. Make sure you have a brush and a greyhound comb. I tell my clients that If they can't get a comb through their dogs hair I can't get a guard comb through it to give them a cute fluffy haircut.

Good luck with your baby. Puppies are the best.
Yep, we're getting a slicker brush and greyhound comb. I am also planning to get a satin-lined collar to prevent hair matting/breakage when the puppy starts getting its adult coat.

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! :)

Has the breeder been trimming or shaving the hair on their muzzles?
I thought poodle puppies were naturally fuzzier than that.

I know the adult poodle has its muzzle shaved, but doing it to an entire litter of puppies that are 6 weeks old must take a lot of patience!
Yes, the breeder has groomed them a couple of times, including the face and base of tail. I can't imagine how much patience it must take! Poodle pups don't get their curly adult coat until around 8-9 months of age. Before that their coats are looser and more wavy.

My favorite poodle hairstyle is just short all over with some topknot, ears, and possibly tail. That is a good thing, as those fancy hairstyles mentioned earlier in the thread are definitely out of reach for us and not very practical either. We want to try to groom the puppy ourselves, but I am aware that trying for the first time on a bouncy puppy will not be very easy.

We are researching and planning to get some grooming tools, including a table. I am very anxious about the grooming, particularly the face and feet. We'll just have to try, though, and keep practicing. If it turns out to be necessary to go to a professional groomer, there is one quite near us we could go to.

Yep, we're getting a slicker brush and greyhound comb. I am also planning to get a satin-lined collar to prevent hair matting/breakage when the puppy starts getting its adult coat.

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! :)
Not sure if it was here that I read it but make sure to get a non slippery table and train the dog to stand nicely on it before introducing 'scary' grooming tools (Finn's intimidated by one singular brush) on it. You don't want the dog to fall off and break a leg or injure itself in other ways.

Back
Top Bottom