Ornamental Pheasant Breeders-Let's Connect

Hi there!
Chukars are fun. Do you raise for meat or just for fun? I've never actually eaten any bird other than chicken and turkey lol.
I mainly got them to add variety to my aviary. we butchered one due to aggressive behavior and lost one to a predator. the remaining 5 are here as pets unless they become troublemakers when breeding season hits......still not sure of genders 🤷‍♀️

I mainly got them to add variety to my aviary. we butchered one due to aggressive behavior and lost one to a predator. the remaining 5 are here as pets unless they become troublemakers when breeding season hits......still not sure of genders 🤷‍♀️
Ive experienced aggressive chicken roos and one aggressive ringneck pheasant before. The pheasant would get you way worse than any of the chicken roos! I'm excited to learn more about what breeds may have calmer or more aggressive tendencies, as I do like to just hang out with the birds and handle them if they let me.

Ive experienced aggressive chicken roos and one aggressive ringneck pheasant before. The pheasant would get you way worse than any of the chicken roos! I'm excited to learn more about what breeds may have calmer or more aggressive tendencies, as I do like to just hang out with the birds and handle them if they let me.
it was not aggressive toward us.....I keep a mixed flock and it appeared to be aggressive toward the quail.....it all happened in the same time frame as the raccoon attacks, so it may have been mistaken. overall, chukars are great.....as for meat and egg production, I much prefer quail due to faster maturity rate and ease of processing. 8-12 weeks from hatch to table! 975ABFDB-B793-426E-8789-A4D933D701C2.jpeg

it was not aggressive toward us.....I keep a mixed flock and it appeared to be aggressive toward the quail.....it all happened in the same time frame as the raccoon attacks, so it may have been mistaken. overall, chukars are great.....as for meat and egg production, I much prefer quail due to faster maturity rate and ease of processing. 8-12 weeks from hatch to table!
For sure, can't beat that turn around!

Back
Top Bottom