Orphan chic being kicked out of coop at might

katesara

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
I have original flock of 7 hens and a hen who was orphaned as baby, now is laying eggs…
“Baby” seems to get along fine with flock in daytime, especially in open spaces, but she does keep to herself and is very skittish. At night the chickens go to bed in a protected wire house, and a wooden sleeping coop inside that. It’s on the small side but plenty big for all of them.
At night she won’t go in with them, the evening bedtime pecking order scares her too much and she sleeps out on a branch inside run but not in weather protected area, and also alone.
Every night since she was a babe we have moved her in after they chill out and get sleepy, and that works but we don’t want to have to move her, and when winter comes it won’t be safe for her to sleep away from the other chickens.
But how?? She won’t go in. I don’t want her to sleep alone or freeze…
The other hens are “normal”, ie there is a little picking on her but not that much, but she is traumatized and solo.

We live on oregon coast and come winter I want her to be protected from weather and also not to be alone, chickens need flock yeah? (Again this is just a sleeping time issue, during day she is fine with the other hens)

Any ideas??

She won't freeze. Your climate is much more temperate than ours. I think your concern is for predation, not weather concerns.
I've had chickens that chose to sleep in trees in freezing weather through rain and snow yet suffered no ill effects from weather - until predators took them.
Try locking all the chickens in together for 2 or 3 days till they are all fore comfortable sleeping together in the coop.

It’s on the small side but plenty big for all of them.
How big is that, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
Having a separate roost for the underlings can really help.

We live on oregon coast
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1665401026751.png

She won't freeze. Your climate is much more temperate than ours. I think your concern is for predation, not weather concerns.
I've had chickens that chose to sleep in trees in freezing weather through rain and snow yet suffered no ill effects from weather - until predators took them.
Try locking all the chickens in together for 2 or 3 days till they are all fore comfortable sleeping together in the coop.
Thanks! Adding follow up below…

How big is that, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
Having a separate roost for the underlings can really help.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3286531
Thanks!!
So hearing the temp of my climate is fine…probably true, but worried about her solo. She is as protected as others from predators, but visible I guess is the only thing.
We had another thought, since I can’t get her to go in with flock, what if we locked all the hens out of the sleeping area for a few nights, forcing them to all sleep together in the area “Baby” sleeps…maybe they will integrate more and then open door back up so they can all choose where to sleep and maybe she won’t stay alone?

It is best to lock them all in together at night. They need to become comfortable sleeping together and reinforcing where home is. If you lock them all outside, they may become just as comfortable sleeping outside and you won't get any of them to go in at dusk.

Back
Top Bottom