Orphan duck .. Advice please!

FriscoRaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
I have a flock of about 10 variety breeds of chickens. I had 2 Pekin ducks we bought about 6 months ago as babies. They've mingled and co-free ranged with my chickens since they were old enough to be outside. They sleep in separate coops at night.

We recently had an attack and lost one duck. Now I know they are flock birds and need company so I'm very worried about my lone survivor. I don't want more ducks, as much as I love them. I will keep the one if she'll do okay with chickens as her "flock" but I don't even know if that's possible. Any advice? I will find her a new home if that's the best route, I just want to understand my options too.

Thank you for your time

I have a flock of about 10 variety breeds of chickens. I had 2 Pekin ducks we bought about 6 months ago as babies. They've mingled and co-free ranged with my chickens since they were old enough to be outside. They sleep in separate coops at night.

We recently had an attack and lost one duck. Now I know they are flock birds and need company so I'm very worried about my lone survivor. I don't want more ducks, as much as I love them. I will keep the one if she'll do okay with chickens as her "flock" but I don't even know if that's possible. Any advice? I will find her a new home if that's the best route, I just want to understand my options too.

Thank you for your time
I'm sorry for your loss, she may do fine with the chickens as her flock especially if she has grown up with them. I would try to find her a friend though they really do much better if they have one of their own to spend their time with. especially if they would be by themselves at night. If your not wanting any more ducks not even one then I'd keep an eye on her for a while if she acts depressed then finding her a new home with more ducks may be the way to go.Just please not at a public pond.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom