Orphaned 2 week old chicks,

sweetbeak

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
Little Hampton, Victoria Australia
Hi all,

Yesterday a feral dog pounced on one of my hens that was happily raising two little chicks. She chose to raise the babies away from the coop which seemed safe as it was underneath my verandah. Each day she would head back into the fenced area for food water and socialization with the other chickens and just sleep under the verandah.

To my shock at 6 am yesterday, there were feathers everywhere and I followed a trail and found more and more and eventually knew she was gone. Legs, bones everything was eaten which is why I thought a dog or cat. Now I have two babies crying out for their mummy so last night i just put them in the coop and they cuddled up together. I have another hen who has babies the same age, should I try to place them with her tonight or just leave them to start life with the others, i have about 30 in total so plenty of freinds to be made?

Thoughts

At two weeks old they need warmth. You can try giving them to the other hen but if she doesn't accept them you will have to rig up some kind of heat source. You may be having warm weather so they would probably survive thru the day but they need 85 degrees at night. Make sure they are able to get to food and water without being chased away from it.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your hen. Good luck with the babies.

At two weeks old they need warmth. You can try giving them to the other hen but if she doesn't accept them you will have to rig up some kind of heat source. You may  be having warm weather so they would probably survive thru the day but they need 85 degrees at night. Make sure they are able to get to food and water without being chased away from it.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your hen. Good luck with the babies.

Thanks for responding, last night they slept together in a nesting box and I'm in Australia so we're in the middle of summer. Today my arancuna rooster has been calling them to give them food and water and they've started stopping looking for their mummy.

I have had roosters (gamefowl) totally take over raising babies, including sitting on them at night, when mum got killed. Raised them to weaning age.

Your other mom should take over raising them. I've had about the same thing happen and the other moms took over. Their chicks were also the same age. It took the orphaned chicks an adjustment time of about two days. It helped a lot when I placed the chicks under their new mom at night.

Back
Top Bottom