Orphaned chick

HOTONE

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Peachland North Carolina
I have an orphaned silkie chick...it did have a sibling but my dog ate one of the chicks...boy did she get in trouble...anyway I have been taking care of her in a crate and she considers me her momma. I took her or him outside to get some sun and to scratch around. Well the chick didnt scratch but she did follow me around and peep. Now this may sound like a stupid question...but how do I teach my chick how to scratch. I can see me outside trying to teach it to scratch by imitating me but the neighbors will think I am crazy. So if anyone out there knows how to teach the chick things that its momma pls tell me....thanks all!!

most of the chickens i have i raised from chicks and r free range know and seen to know what to do on there own. the 3 i have hatched inside scratch the bottum of there cage like crazy

What breed is she? (Silkie's don't really scratch at all) How old? Scratching is an instinct behavior and does not need to be taught. I wouldn't worry about it. Once she is living outside and foraging around she will scratch. I have chicks I raised from 1 day old with no mommy and they dig up my whole yard, scratching away.

Do you have any other birds? Chickens can get very lonely and cold living all alone long term.

She is about 2 weeks old...her pin feathers on her wings are coming in. We do have several yard birds so I am afraid they will bully her or him. Some of them can get pretty nasty at times.

I have her in a crate with a heating pad underneath and I am always holding her or keeping her in my robe pocket...Dont know what to do when she gets to big for that.

She is about 2 weeks old...her pin feathers on her wings are coming in. We do have several yard birds so I am afraid they will bully her or him. Some of them can get pretty nasty at times.

If you have a wire dog crate, when she is fully feathered you can start putting her out in the yard with the other birds in the crate. So she is "with" them and they can all see each other but she is safe in her own space. I would do this for a week or so as introduction so they can get used to one another a bit.

Unfortunately they will be mean to her no matter what, but that is a natural part of their social process and part of them accepting her into their flock. Once you fully integrate I would keep a watching eye and separate if you see blood. Sometimes adding a second temporary feeder can help if you have space so fighting over food is not as bad.

They need time to become friends.

Last edited:
What I did was the opposite, I put my mean boy in the cage where he could see everyone getting along and establishing a new pecking order (sort of) when I released him a few days later, he assumed his role, but didn't bully the new chick. Sort of a time out for bad behavior.

What I did was the opposite, I put my mean boy in the cage where he could see everyone getting along and establishing a new pecking order (sort of) when I released him a few days later, he assumed his role, but didn't bully the new chick. Sort of a time out for bad behavior.

Nice. Interesting. I have never tried that but I may next time. I like the time out idea. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom