Orphaned eggs hatching today! Need advice!

UbDucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 1, 2014
We lost our Indian Runner girl to a predator a few days ago. She had been sitting on a nest of eggs. When we discovered what happened, the eggs were cold but we put them in a homemade incubator. Today one is starting to hatch! My question is, how do I keep them from imprinting improperly? I don't want them to imprint to me, but right now we only have three adult ducks, all male, and I don't think they can raise ducklings.

Last year we had only one surviving duckling and the mom ignored it and the males were aggressive towards it, so we raised it with some new chicks. As a result he grew up thinking he was a chicken, and he has never really been accepted by the other ducks.

I would like these new ducklings (assuming they hatch and survive - hoping!!!!!) to know they are ducks - what should I do? I don't want them to imprint to humans but I am afraid to put them with the male ducks.

Your only options are to have them imprint on you or try to find a broody duck/hen that can raise them.
Ducks imprinting on people is okay (though I agree that chicks/ducklings are happiest with their real momma), they will learn to be ducks when they are old enough to be introduced to the males. Make sure they are kept warm, at around 90 F with an easy to grip surface, some water they can dip their beaks in but won't catch a chill in, and some starter food. The ducklings, if there are more than one, will start their own flock, so even if they aren't excepted by the other ducks they will have friends.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
smile.png

We lost our Indian Runner girl to a predator a few days ago. She had been sitting on a nest of eggs. When we discovered what happened, the eggs were cold but we put them in a homemade incubator. Today one is starting to hatch! My question is, how do I keep them from imprinting improperly? I don't want them to imprint to me, but right now we only have three adult ducks, all male, and I don't think they can raise ducklings.

Last year we had only one surviving duckling and the mom ignored it and the males were aggressive towards it, so we raised it with some new chicks. As a result he grew up thinking he was a chicken, and he has never really been accepted by the other ducks.

I would like these new ducklings (assuming they hatch and survive - hoping!!!!!) to know they are ducks - what should I do? I don't want them to imprint to humans but I am afraid to put them with the male ducks.
If more than 2-3 they will mainly imprint on each other any way but you dif don't want them around the drakes till the ducklings are as large or at mating age. Very sorry for your loss, let us know how many hatch.

Thanks for the help! We have one beautiful duckling, 12 hours old! But it looks like the other eggs are not going to hatch. I am hoping to find someone nearby with ducklings for sale, so this little one will not have to grow up alone. I only have the three adult males right now so this poor baby would have to be by itself. My daughter is happy to mother it right now, but I know that is not a good long-term solution.

Its very cute. Until you find it friends, you should put a stuffed animal with it. That will keep it some company. And yes, it does actually work and calm them down. Just make sure it doesn't have beads for eyes or other parts that could be swallowed.

Back
Top Bottom