Orpington color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Toastyone, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Toastyone

Toastyone Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    Can Orpingtons come in splash? I saw once place online that said it isn't an accepted variety but then I see another place that it is? I'd like to know because I just got some chicks that are supposed to be splash.

2. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    I don't know if it's an accepted variety or not,,,,,,,accepted by who? We had a Orp Splash Roo, and he was 12 plus pounds. His only offspring he left us was one Lavendar pullet.

3. Toastyone

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    Well, I know there is a chicken standard of sorts? I saw one once but I've never been much into showing. Breeds of things usually come in a,b,c,d colors and if you have something that isn't I would presume it to be a hybrid? Could be wrong about chickens but that's how it works with like every other kind of animal.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Splash is a blue color. When you breed two blues together you can get splash. The color is not accepted in the SOP for showing. They can be shown but only can win Variety. Splash will not produce lavender/self blue color.

5. Toastyone

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    Alrighy well I'm guessing that these aren't splash then? They're more white with streaks of golden laced or silver laced feathers. Weird Well atleast the 2 white ones are easy to figure out! Thinking I need to go get pics of them and post them in the what breed/sex is this thread

6. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Orpingtons do have a splash phase. They can only compete for best of variety at shows as they're not a recognized color. My splashes have no gold or silver lacing.

[​IMG]

7. Toastyone

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    Well I wanted to post pictures of them in the what breed is this but I can't figure out how and I don't know if I'm allowed to link to my website where I know how to put pictures up [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Yes, you can, or you can simply list the image's url inside of [​IMG] brackets.

Red or gold in a splash is a disqualification. Splash results from two copies of the blue gene, and as stated, has no relationship to levender, which is a different gene entirely.

9. Toastyone

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    Well I know now that they are neither Orpingtons or splash. 2 of the 8 mystery breed chicks have been discovered!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by