Orpington color question

Toastyone

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Reaford, NC
Can Orpingtons come in splash? I saw once place online that said it isn't an accepted variety but then I see another place that it is? I'd like to know because I just got some chicks that are supposed to be splash.

I don't know if it's an accepted variety or not,,,,,,,accepted by who? We had a Orp Splash Roo, and he was 12 plus pounds. His only offspring he left us was one Lavendar pullet.

Well, I know there is a chicken standard of sorts? I saw one once but I've never been much into showing. Breeds of things usually come in a,b,c,d colors and if you have something that isn't I would presume it to be a hybrid? Could be wrong about chickens but that's how it works with like every other kind of animal.

Splash is a blue color. When you breed two blues together you can get splash. The color is not accepted in the SOP for showing. They can be shown but only can win Variety. Splash will not produce lavender/self blue color.

Alrighy well I'm guessing that these aren't splash then? They're more white with streaks of golden laced or silver laced feathers. Weird Well atleast the 2 white ones are easy to figure out! Thinking I need to go get pics of them and post them in the what breed/sex is this thread

Quote:
Orpingtons do have a splash phase. They can only compete for best of variety at shows as they're not a recognized color. My splashes have no gold or silver lacing.

Well I wanted to post pictures of them in the what breed is this but I can't figure out how and I don't know if I'm allowed to link to my website where I know how to put pictures up
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes, you can, or you can simply list the image's url inside of
brackets.

Red or gold in a splash is a disqualification. Splash results from two copies of the blue gene, and as stated, has no relationship to levender, which is a different gene entirely.

Back
Top Bottom