Orpington discussion/pictures!!

Beth77

Chirping
Aug 10, 2015
Scotland
I absolutely love Orpingtons! They have such a lovely, placid nature.

Share your photos and stories here.:)

Last edited:
Who doesn't love Orpingtons? I've currently got a Buff hen and a Lavender rooster who are both extremely docile, gentle, and wonderful with children. But since you asked for stories, I will tell about an amusing encounter with my handsome T.Roo, the adolescent Lav Orp. One day while in the coop, my mom and I were simply standing around, discussing our favorites out of the flock of 38. T.Roo got enough nerve to meander just a smidgen too close to us for comfort, so my mom stomped at him simply to discourage any potential aggression (he's at that unpredictable stage). Well, he really took her seriously and ran to the corner to hide his face like a scolded child. Despite my mom's repeated, "You can come out now. You're not in trouble.," he refused to come out and stayed there for a good minute or two!
big_smile.png
Now THAT'S a good rooster!

-Alex

I have only one Lavender Orpington, a rooster. He is just coming into maturity. He is still extremely docile and fun. We have one large coop and one very small coop. Well, my Rhode Island Red rooster is very dominate. Therefore, I have been keeping Levi in the small run/coop to relieve his stress levels. He now has taken to spending a large amount of his time sitting on top of "his" coop, happy as all get out. His 2 biddies (a couple of Rhode Island Red pullets) will jump up and chill with him

He doesn't like the phone.

He's beautiful! Yeah, T.Roo isn't exactly dominant, either. Must be an Orpington thing.
263a.png

-Alex

Thank you. Levi is by far my favorite chicken. He runs to me to protect him from Strauss. He has learned to eat from my hand and if I am outside he has to keep me in sight. I have Orpington birds are just that way.
1f496.png
Would not trade him for any other bird.

Thank you. Levi is by far my favorite chicken. He runs to me to protect him from Strauss. He has learned to eat from my hand and if I am outside he has to keep me in sight. I have Orpington birds are just that way.
1f496.png
Would not trade him for any other bird.

How awesome that he means so much to you! I've honestly heard almost nothing but good about Orpington roosters. They actually have a pretty good reputation. My boy is really sweet, too, and for example, I can always wrap my arms (with some difficulty
1f61c.png
) around his huge lavender body for a bear hug before the birds' bedtime.

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom