Orpington Egg Size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JayDe, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    My Buff Orpington started laying this week. My EEs have been laying for about 3-4 weeks now and their eggs are slightly larger than hers. They are all about medium egg size. Plus her eggs are almost the same color as the EEs which are very light, almost pinkish. What's going on with her, is it just because she just started laying or is she always going to lay smaller eggs?

Here's a pic with my 3 EEs and Sissy, the Orpington's egg all together:

[​IMG]

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not 100% sure but I'd say they'd get bigger with time.

3. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    sometimes I swear she lays them the size of a duck! lol

And they are a pinkish color at times. Sometimes they look more tan others pink.

I had 3, but one got egg bound so now I am down to 2 but they do lay extra large eggs at times.

4. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Are you SURE she is an orpington and not a Buff Rock? My buff rocks eggs look JUST like that, (we thought she was an orpington until I researched on here) lol

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will get bigger over time. I got a big increase in size after their first molt.

6. ChickenMama18

ChickenMama18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I didn't know that...good to know!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It really depends on the hen. Some will lay large eggs and some won't. My eggs are consistently the same size but my first year hens usually lay a larger egg than the older hens.

8. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Well, I'm pretty sure, I'll have to look up Buff Rocks and see the difference. They were advertised as Orpingtons and no one has ever said they didn't look like Orpingtons when I posted their pictures. She is a bit small for an Orpington, although the roo seems the right size.

<edit> She has pale colored legs, and it seems that means she's a Orpington by the posts I found.

NewtoChooks: Thanks for the info--I will look forward to them getting larger [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  9. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 2 BOs, who lay completely different eggs
    Thelma Lou's eggs are medium, dark tan with a pink hint and a shiny exterior to the egg, and the egg is decidedly, well, egg shaped...Very pretty.
    Helen's eggs are large - sometimes XL - very light in color, more round, and with a matte finish.
    Both of our birds are BOs - not something else...I was surprised their eggs were so different...

10. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    the eggs will get bigger in time. My buff orps and Rhode Island Reds all laid small eggs at first. within a couple months they all are laying large eggs. Be patient and bigger eggs will come soon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by