Orpington Experts Please

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I have no pics sorry. This little chickie is probably 6-8 weeks old but is growing a tail, up and curled down. I have never seen this. This is the only sex id on the bird. What i am wondering is, does this mean it is a boy? I am thinking this. Probably will be a real looker when he grows up but I wont be able to keep him. o boy! It is just so strange, the chick is just growing new feathers but the tail seems to be growing more rapidly.

By 6 to 8 weeks you should be able to tell by its comb and waddles better....I have had surprises with tail feathers so I'm no expert Iding them that way...

Well, I'm not sure if this will help...with both my chicks and my friend's, the boy's tail feathers came in later than the girls' did. They were just slower to develop. At about three weeks, the girls really had developed feathers on the wings and tails, and the boys still looked "rumpy", i.e., still fuzz there.

I suppose it's too soon to tell if the saddle feathers are getting pointy?

I have to part with my rooster as well. It's bittersweet, isn't it! They can be such eye candy.

If the wattles don't hang down from the face by about a 1/4 inch, you have a girl. Girls' wattles stay tight to the face (in most cases). Even with a little pinking..could just be a faster maturely pullet. I would not go by the tail at this age. Tails are not good sex definers until about 12-14 weeks when the saddles start showing.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom