Orpington Experts Please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Jul 12, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have no pics sorry. This little chickie is probably 6-8 weeks old but is growing a tail, up and curled down. I have never seen this. This is the only sex id on the bird. What i am wondering is, does this mean it is a boy? I am thinking this. Probably will be a real looker when he grows up but I wont be able to keep him. o boy! It is just so strange, the chick is just growing new feathers but the tail seems to be growing more rapidly.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    By 6 to 8 weeks you should be able to tell by its comb and waddles better....I have had surprises with tail feathers so I'm no expert Iding them that way...

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am starting to see a little color in the wattles but no size, really not much there

4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Well, I'm not sure if this will help...with both my chicks and my friend's, the boy's tail feathers came in later than the girls' did. They were just slower to develop. At about three weeks, the girls really had developed feathers on the wings and tails, and the boys still looked "rumpy", i.e., still fuzz there.

I suppose it's too soon to tell if the saddle feathers are getting pointy?

I have to part with my rooster as well. It's bittersweet, isn't it! They can be such eye candy.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    IT has a total of three tail feathers sticking up and down looks kinda funny

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If the wattles don't hang down from the face by about a 1/4 inch, you have a girl. Girls' wattles stay tight to the face (in most cases). Even with a little pinking..could just be a faster maturely pullet. I would not go by the tail at this age. Tails are not good sex definers until about 12-14 weeks when the saddles start showing.

Jody

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    so can the tail go up or down on both male and female/?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by