Orpington tail feather issue - please help!

This is all so interesting! I would have never guessed cat food! She can have some starting tonight.
Yes, bathing info etc would be very helpful - still learning!!
So do you think the bath will smooth those feathers out?

The reason she's younger is she had to hatch after Jan 1 - she's in a pullet class. But I agree she could be fuller.

This is all so interesting! I would have never guessed cat food! She can have some starting tonight.
Yes, bathing info etc would be very helpful - still learning!!
So do you think the bath will smooth those feathers out?

The reason she's younger is she had to hatch after Jan 1 - she's in a pullet class. But I agree she could be fuller.
The bath could help a little bit but it won't grow the feathers back.
What day is your daughters show?

Ok good . I can get a video when i bathe my cockerel tomorrow or Thursday didn't have time when bathing the pullets..

It looks like a lavender Orpington. (a) They have fragile feathers to begin with. Trust me on this. (b) There is a recessive gene on the same chromosome as the lavender gene which causes REALLY REALLY severe feather loss in the tail. If you Google it, you can find old B/W images of it. I've had lav Orps for several years and some have better feather quality than others. My other Orp colors don't have this issue, fed the same diet and same other conditions. It's just part of being lavender. The color came from using lav Ameracaunas and unfortunately this bad gene rode along with it. It can help to breed them with black/split to lavender roos (or vice versa depending on gender) every 3 years to help minimize the presence of even one copy of the fragile feather gene that is common in lavender Orps. As long as she has feathers everywhere, she will be fine. Also, at her age, she wil molt more adult feathers and they should look a bit better. I have only very rarely seen a lavender Orpington with the same feather quality as other colors of Orpington. Just fyi! Hope this helps.

Sorry as I was starting to wash the cockerel yesterday a strong storm started coming in so I could not video as I wash outside.

If you are able to wash them in a sink you can follow the same steps. Although I prefer to wash in tubs so that I do not have to clean the drain afterwards.

Here is what I do
ITEMS YOU NEED
3 plastic tubs
1 bottle of Mane & Tail Shampoo
1 bottle of White Vinegar
toothbrush

Fill the three tubs up with warm water, you want them to be filled up to the middle of the breast. In the second tub pour some White Vinegar in I usually do 3/4 a cup for around 10 gallons. Once you have the tubs filled up take the bird and put it in the first tub, make sure you hold on tight as some birds will freak out. You will want to soak the bird well, make sure you get under the wings. Make sure that the birds head does not go under the water. After you soak the bird put some shampoo in your hand and scrub it into the birds feathers. Get as much of the shampoo out in the first tub. Take the bird out and put it in the second tub, the vinegar will help take the soap out of the bird. Again make sure you get under the wings. Then move the bird to the last tub I usually use this to make sure that I got everything clean.
Now you can either blow dry the bird or air dry the bird. I prefer to blow dry my birds. As it is the summer make sure the bird does not get over heated. Make sure you have a fan on hand just in case. You will want to blow dry until the bird is completely dry, make sure you get under the wings. When you are done the bird should be placed in a conditioning pen with either sand or woodchips

Back
Top Bottom