Orpington Thread

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask my question, but I'll try it. How fast do Orpington's usually grow? For some reason, in my mind, I always imagined that they grew pretty fast. But my one chick that I believe is an Orpington has consistently been one of my smallest chicks.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask my question, but I'll try it.  How fast do Orpington's usually grow?  For some reason, in my mind, I always imagined that they grew pretty fast.  But my one chick that I believe is an Orpington has consistently been one of my smallest chicks.  

I think I read where they mature slower than some birds bc of their size.... I'm not 100% sure though.

I don't know the answer to the question as to how fast they grow, but everyone in my family has noticed that ours are smaller than all of our other breeds at the same age.

I think I read where they mature slower than some birds bc of their size.... I'm not 100% sure though.

I don't know the answer to the question as to how fast they grow, but everyone in my family has noticed that ours are smaller than all of our other breeds at the same age.

Thank you both very much! You answered my question perfectly
smile.png

We have a buff orpington pullet who is soooooo affectionate! She loves to be petted. Reminds me of our doggy who passed recently (16 years old... god bless him!)

I'm thinking that many people in the past took the time to breed buff orpingtons together that had docile tendencies. If so, I am thankful for all the efforts!

We have two golden comets that were probably bred just for egg laying capacity. They hate being petted. Only when I'm feeding them 'Chicken Frenzy freeze dried mealworms' do I get to touch them without their running off (as though I were going to eat them!)

So I'm a Buff Orpington fan.... for life!

Any of Y'all's BOs lay white eggs? Saw one of mine in the nest box for the first time and found a large white egg and can't tell for sure if it's her or if one of my two leghorns left it.

Hi all, I received my Black Orpington (supposed to be female) chick from Meyer Hatchery on Tuesday. The problem is, I also received a Black Australorp & Black Jersey Giant. I'm having a really difficult time figuring out which chick is which breed (note to self: order mixed colors next time LOL). Can any of you give me your best guess? These pics were taken at 1 day old. Here is Chick #5. Her most distinguishing characteristics are that her beak is half pink, half black; split right down the middle & she also has really bold, well defined lines above & below her eyes:

Chick # 7's only distinguishing feature is a mostly black beak with a pink tip. For some reason her bum & tummy look mighty Orpish to me, like my Lavender & Blue Orpingtons looked at this age, so I'm leaning toward Black Orpington on this one:

I have come to affectionately refer to chick # 8 as Tank. She is the biggest of all 9 chicks I received. So maybe Black Jersey Giant? One BYCer thinks this one may be the Black Australorp:

Hello! I am thinking about getting orpington has I have hear they are good with kids, and egg production. Does anyone know how they are with cold weather? We live in the northeast, and have some rough winters at times!Thanks

Back
Top Bottom