Orpington Thread

I'd like some professional opinions please! How is her shape?

when i ordered our blue orpington the hatchery website said that blue is an unstable gene so i may recieve a blue, a black, or a splash. I was really hoping for splash, Lol! But she is now a beautiful blue at 8 weeks old, so i paid the same pretty penny to get her a little black sister. If i remember correctly the chances of your blue turning out black are 25%. I can't wait til our black gets the green colored sheen ~ right now she's an icky mess of pin feathers & tired old baby fluff, LOL.
Yes, I was aware of the 25% black too but one can only hope. :) I ordered our flock of 8 different breeds based on their comb size, dispositions, size and feather colors. My daughter and 3 granddaughters live with me and the hens had to be gentle and sweet and so far, most of them are. Our Golden Laced Wyandotte is top of the pecking order and she is the least friendly yet she is friendly towards my daughter. Our EE is the most skittish yet she will walk within a few feet of us without skittering away. As for the color ranges I ordered, I so wanted a blue chicken but since Sephira turned out black with a beautiful green sheen, my daughter got the blue and the splash silkie for the next brood. I was also told that even though Sephira is black now, after her first molt, she may get some blue but there isn't any blue on her anywhere and I just don't see it happening in the future. No matter now though, she is my chicken, my girl, and my little chatter box. Love her!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I know all mine looked black except one when they hatched and took awhile for there blue to show and they got lighter as they went through there molts... I'll try to find a pic

Back
Top Bottom