Orpington Thread

Some of my mottled orpington chicks are feathering in. I am wondering if you can tell their gender?
I have an idea but second opinions are always welcome!

The breeder told me they were between 5 and 8 weeks but I really don't know how accurate that is...
I have more pics of them and their parent stock in my personal thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/952158/my-new-chicks-and-new-property-thread#post_14802719

I think they're a little too young to tell just yet, but I'd bet a $100 #5 is a cockerel. What I noticed with mine was that pointy tails meant girl, no tail or stubby square tail meant boy. Also, early wattle development meant boy.

I think they're a little too young to tell just yet, but I'd bet a $100 #5 is a cockerel. What I noticed with mine was that pointy tails meant girl, no tail or stubby square tail meant boy. Also, early wattle development meant boy.

I think he's a boy also. He's very bold and friendly. He tends to the ladies even at this age, feeds them first, sleeps with his head over them Etc. He has more wattle development and the tail is a giveaway also. I think there's at least one other little man in the group judging by these features. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

I think he's a boy also. He's very bold and friendly. He tends to the ladies even at this age, feeds them first, sleeps with his head over them Etc. He has more wattle development and the tail is a giveaway also. I think there's at least one other little man in the group judging by these features. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

That stance has "boy" written all over it, too.

How can I get in contact with a good true Orpington breeder in Tennessee.. I'm sure there are some people on this forum? I'm looking for laying hens only but want the true Orpington blood from a credible source, not a mutt from a hatchery.. I'm not going to be showing them just using them for eggs and maybe breeding in a couple of years to potentially sell.. Not wanting to make any money just wanting to preserve a good breed.. I'm also interested in Barred Rocks and Ameraucana's..

Please email me if you know of trustworthy breeders in west or middle Tennessee that wouldn't take advantage of a newbie.

Thanks,
CP

Back
Top Bottom