orpingtons!!!!!

Quote:
Joy,

I am amazed how nice some of the Blues coming out of her old line. Nice thing about using her Splash is all offspring will be Blue. I most likely will cut loose three of my other cockerels.
Only keeping these two.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/lildinkem/000_9665.jpg?t=1295392187
I have them titely packed in their coop's to keep the frost bite to a minimum.
This is the only other Blue cockerel who I can see worth keeping around.
Linus
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/lildinkem/000_9705.jpg?t=1295392271

Bill - He's a nice cockerel. Are you planning to mate your splash girls to the splash boy you have a picture of here?

Joy,

I am. I have both Laz and Linus. And both will be used on all three of Julie's pullets. I plan to move those three pullets (2 Black and the Splash) in with each of the younger Black cockerels I like too. I will hatch out every single egg. I have to be better about culling earlier this year. I hate having very young birds to grow out in the winter. Almost a pointless task. They do not grow out better. Size is affected by the colder weather and shorter days. I still have at least another dozen super younger Black cockerels who are too good to cull. And just need time to grow out. I am doing an experiment and have the bigger of the younger Blacks outside growing out in the White pen. So far Flotilla is growing well. But way too early to know IF he is worth keeping. I just hate the thought of culling a great bird at too young an age.

Last edited:
55380_9848_2_2.jpg
55380_picture_339.jpg

55380_poultry_1348.jpg
55380_028.jpg

55380_pictures_142.jpg
55380_023.jpg

55380_poultry_1332.jpg
55380_roodgroot.jpg

55380_gold_lace.jpg
55380_poultry_752.jpg

55380_getattachment9.jpg
55380_4451_11.jpg

55380_poultry_863.jpg
http://www.chocolateorpingtonchicken.com/

55380_picture_301.jpg
http://www.chocolateorpingtonchicken.com/

Quote:
Broody hens can be quite mean and grumpy !! Most of mine are very docile even when they are broody. Do you have a broody cage? Ours tend to go broody a lot in the summer months. We have a cage that is all wire. We set it up on saw horses (some people hang them in a tree) and put food and water in the cage. We leave them in the cage for 2-3 days...usually after 3 days, they are completely broke from being broody. This works for us. You might want to give it a try.

P.S. Just make sure that you put the cage somewhere where it is secure and predator-proof !!!

Quote:
Bill - He's a nice cockerel. Are you planning to mate your splash girls to the splash boy you have a picture of here?

Joy,

I am. I have both Laz and Linus. And both will be used on all three of Julie's pullets. I plan to move those three pullets (2 Black and the Splash) in with each of the younger Black cockerels I like too. I will hatch out every single egg. I have to be better about culling earlier this year. I hate having very young birds to grow out in the winter. Almost a pointless task. They do not grow out better. Size is affected by the colder weather and shorter days. I still have at least another dozen super younger Black cockerels who are too good to cull. And just need time to grow out. I am doing an experiment and have the bigger of the younger Blacks outside growing out in the White pen. So far Flotilla is growing well. But way too early to know IF he is worth keeping. I just hate the thought of culling a great bird at too young an age.

Bill - I am planning on hatching every single egg this year too. I am hoping my 100% English girls start laying again soon. Those I will be hatching and keeping until probably 8 months old before rehoming any of the cockerels. I have found that my cockerels change drastically between 6-8 months, so I will not rehome any of them until they reach 8 months old. I thought about rehoming Nigel a couple of months ago because I didn't think he was going to grow out to be what I wanted. However, he is now just 5 months old and is really shaping up to be a nice bird....I am sure glad that I didn't rehome that boy. I just hope he continues to keep growing out the way he is at this point. Good luck !!

Quote:
Joy,

Bill - I am planning on hatching every single egg this year too. I am hoping my 100% English girls start laying again soon. Those I will be hatching and keeping until probably 8 months old before rehoming any of the cockerels. I have found that my cockerels change drastically between 6-8 months, so I will not rehome any of them until they reach 8 months old. I thought about rehoming Nigel a couple of months ago because I didn't think he was going to grow out to be what I wanted. However, he is now just 5 months old and is really shaping up to be a nice bird....I am sure glad that I didn't rehome that boy. I just hope he continues to keep growing out the way he is at this point. Good luck !!

Good for you. You build up the numbers and help out others come fall. I know my birds look nite and day different from 6 months old to 10 months old. I do have a decent idea which will be better, but in some cases, I will get Red leakage. Or the tail doesn't finish out like I thought it would. So, I do wait and it just costs a few extra bucks to be sure.
I know that getting birds to lay does not mean their fertile. I have 2 outta 26 that were fertile in the first go around. We will see if that goes up. IF not I am AIing. Or trying to AI my birds. these eggs are way too valueable to let go to waste

Quote:

Good for you. You build up the numbers and help out others come fall. I know my birds look nite and day different from 6 months old to 10 months old. I do have a decent idea which will be better, but in some cases, I will get Red leakage. Or the tail doesn't finish out like I thought it would. So, I do wait and it just costs a few extra bucks to be sure.
I know that getting birds to lay does not mean their fertile. I have 2 outta 26 that were fertile in the first go around. We will see if that goes up. IF not I am AIing. Or trying to AI my birds. these eggs are way too valueable to let go to waste

Have you tried trimming them? I was having a fertility issue too, but once I trimmed Winston I had no problems. Last year, about 99.8% of my eggs were fertile - until the dreaded molt came along !! LOL

A lovely fellow finally imported Chocolate Orps, along with English Lavenders and Blacks.

A friend of mine with experience importing animals decided to do this and his first set of flocks has landed. He'll be adding many other colors down the line.

There are a few pics up: Chocolate Orp Pics

Last edited:
Congratulation ! the chocolate Orpington there

i did heard that 2 year a go !!!! Where are they ?

LET SEE PICTURES

55380_9849_2.jpg

55380_9848_2_2.jpg

55380_picture_339.jpg

55380_picture_309.jpg

55380_picture_451.jpg

Back
Top Bottom