Orscheln's employee LIED to me

Quote:
Please don't feel that way. I was at tractor supply my first year the lady working told me that straight run just meant that they got fat faster and that if you held them up by their feet if they tried to fly they were a boy if they hung there they were a girl. I was new to chickens so I didn't know, I found BYC and I learned a lot. I think that the person was trying to get rid of the chicks. Sorry about getting the meat birds.

Quote:
Awww....don't feel that way please!!! I think everyone is trying to be helpful and supportive. Sometimes when things go wrong I try to imagine what could have been the cause of it...maybe a miscommunication.

I am glad that you gave everyone a heads up that the feed store might not know the facts on the different breeds.

thumbsup.gif

It is so hard to type what you are feeling sometimes and I think a lot of miscommunication happens on internet too.
D.gif

Gotta just keep doing our best, eh?

Sorry if I got my lil feelings hurt
cool.png
I just read all the posts and in the beginning it seemed very informative and as it went on it sounded more like I was an irresponsible owner or something. I plan to either give them to someone local that wants "meat birds" or keep them and butcher them, I have no problems throwing a nice fat chicken on the smoker
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the advice guys and gals, I actually stopped by the store last night to buy some more food ( um Cornish X can eattttttttttt lol ) and the girl actually was showing the birds to someone else and telling them the SAME EXACT thing she told me, what the heck lol. I just went to pay for my stuff and asked to speak to the manager, I told him I overheard her telling someone that the birds are "very reliable egg layers" and "easy to keep in small enclosures" as she showed them to a family with 2 small kids who intended to keep them in a 8x8 dog kennel with a small rabbit cage as a coop, as I was telling him the said family walked up to the register where they were to pay for their 5 chicks and a cart full of stuff they bought...................

When they manager informed them that they were in fact "meat birds" they gave them back to him and left the store, they had a cart with a cage, feed, lights, bedding etc etc etc so they lost out on a bunch of sales but at least the family didnt get any surprises like I did lol. I would sure hate to see anyone get in trouble or lose their job over things like that but man she she doesnt give up lol. I dont know what her motive is, maybe she is just tired of taking care of them in the store or something, surely the manager talked to her about it before lol

Thanks for all the info guys and I will let you know what I decide to do about the "broilers" lol

It's a good message, mochicken, and I'm glad you posted it. I got offended too when I posted my story about my "Ameraucana" that turned into a White Leghorn and people told me I should have done my research. I DID do research - on the breed I was told they were!! I never would have suspected that the store was not being truthful about what breed they are, so your thread is very helpful for newbies like I was at the time. So like I said before, the responsibility is shared, but sometimes stores are deliberately trying to dupe a customer. Hate to say it, but it does happen.

I tried to correct the situation at my pet store when they got new chicks in this year. I looked in the bin and once again, it is labled that the black ones are BR, the brown are RIR, and the yellow are Ams. I called a clerk over and informed her that all of the yellow chicks are WL, not Ams. She said, "Yes, that's what it says" HuH? Sure enough, in a TINY little dark colored lable it says "yellow - White Legghorn". This lable is underneath the other three lables that are large and white.
hmm.png
So I said, "But you can hardly even see that label, and the big label says the yellow chicks are Ameraucana, and there is not a single Ameraucana chick in this bin" (I wasn't even going to go to the Am/ EE argument)
barnie.gif
She got all huffy puffy and stormed off.

I was so worried about having a Leghorn with their reputation for a crazy temperment, but it turns out she is such a sweety. The irony is that she went broody and hatched out my Ameraucana - who is INSANE and the least friendly of all my chickens. Go figure.
hu.gif

Its so hard to know every single breed with so many out there.
I believe if a store is selling an item/chick as something else its false advertisment.

I have even bought the wrong things before,im sure everyone has gotten the wrong thing before.

I agree... mislabeling is not okay. That is the bare minimum they should do, to the best of their ability.

Being told that meaties are good long term egg-layers is something else! Not a good situation.

Mochicken- good for you for letting the manager know what that the employee was at it again! You saved that family a lot of money and heartache I'm sure!

My first experience buying chicks from the store wasn't very good either. I knew which breeds I wanted and had a general idea what they should look like. I asked before getting them (they did have them all in separate cages). I got two RIR, one Barred Rock and one Leghorn - all pullets. The RIR grew up to be RIR hens - good. The Leghorn - nope a White Rock hen. The Barred Rock - nope an Australorp Roo. Thankfully none were meat birds, so not a big deal. The Australorp roo turned out to be a blessing and I ended up getting more.

At least my local feed store is honest and says they don't know the breeds. The usually order the assorted pullets or assorted banties. They always have the meat birds separate and labeled as such.

Back
Top Bottom