Orscheln's employee LIED to me

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
So I went to Orchelns yesterday to pick up chicks for my wife because she wanted some "babies" since I brought home 4 almost POL hens and 2 EE Roos a couple weeks ago. She wanted some so my son could see them raised from babies and was too impatient to wait on hatching our own eggs when the chickies decide to start laying loll.

The store only had 4 RIR babies which is what she wanted, but next to them were 2 full bins of "Cornish Cross" chicks that were a little bigger and cute lil yellow fluff balls lol. So I ask the lady about them because I know nothing of CC chickens, she says " they are some of the best domestic chickens you can get, they will lay brown eggs for up to 3 years" so of course I was like ummm OK I do like brown eggs lol. We bought six of them, then I get home and look them up just to find out they get really big really fast and they are usually ate at 8-12 weeks
sad.png

Dont get me wrong I dont have any problems processing and eating them, ( the wife will never touch that meat lol ) but I am kinda upset that the lady straight lied to me. In other conversations we had there she seemed VERY informed on chickens, chicks, ducks, feeding poultry, heat lights etc etc so I dont know if she was just trying to get rid of them or what.

Sorry that happened to you, The employees and my Orscheln's always make sure people understand that the Cornish crosses are meat birds. Maybe you could find someone that has laying chicks that might trade with you. I would call the store and let the manager know because selling meat birds as layers is not fair to new people just starting out in chickens. Good luck.

Yeah in that situation I would march those chickens right back to the store and demand a refund. If I end up with roos from the pullet bin such is life but flat out lying to be I wouldn't put up with.

That is so wrong and I would let them know that. I work at a feed store and when people start looking at the cornish cross I make sure they know that they are meat birds that you have to butcher at 6-8 weeks. At this age they just look like cute little fuzz balls.

I called the manager, he apologized for the mistake but told me they will not take returns on live birds hmmmm.

At least I got them on sale, guess I will be processing some chickens in a couple months lol, not really what I had in mind when I started raising chickens though, was more into the eggs and getting some different breeds that are nice to look at:D

Oh well lesson learned and cant wait to see all these babies grown up and picking around the yard with the other chickens

Oh then I'd demand credit for new egg laying birds. If they can't take the birds back they could at least credit you for some new ones. The amount of money that most people probably spend in there for other things surely outweighs the loss of the dollars for a few chicks. If it were MY store I would be giving you a credit to get new chicks asap to keep your loyalty. Mistakes happen, it's what you do about those mistakes that matter. Apologizing is nice but taking responsibility for the mistake is better.

So I stopped by the store last night, I talked to the manager more and he was nice and after I explained to him that we wanted chickens for my son to raise to learn the responsibility of owning "livestock" and that we had no intention of getting "meat birds" and were told we were getting egg laying champions lol he saw things my way. He gave me $6.02 and told me this is not what they usually do and I should research breeds before buying, he is correct there but even if I had I believe she would have more "knowledge" than me and would have still talked me into it lol.

We also have a TSC in the same city and I had never been there so I stopped by there last night, I looked at all of the things I had purchased lately (feed, feeders, waterers, bedding, etc etc) and TSC was cheaper on most of those things by 25% or more. The only thing was their chicks were 2.99 for pullets and I paid 0.99 so I guess I can still buy chicks from Orscheln's for chicks but may do more shopping at TSC for every day stuff for my birds.

Thanks for the advice guys and gals, even after all this I am not saying anything really "bad" about Orschelns as they have been nothing but nice and usually steer me in the right direction. My advice to all the newbies like myself would be to research common breeds of chicks before you buy, you dont want to end up with the wrong birds.

They didnt offer to replace? I work at Rural King. We recieved some straight run BR's from the hatchery that was marked pullets. I told my manager there were boys in there, but she said since the hatchery said pullets to put that on the bin. A few weeks later we had to replace some of the chicks because they were roosters.We couldnt take the roos back because no where to put them, but I did replace them with pullets. And I told the customers they could try to get rid of them on craigslist. Now my manager listens when I tell her if I see roosters. We would rather have to give away some chicks then risk losing customers.

Back
Top Bottom