Osteoporosis

Source

"..,A recent hip hop study—no not the music, we literally mean hopping—has shed some light on how to reduce fracture risk, specifically fractures from osteoporosis. The study, conducted through a special mapping technique at the University of Cambridge, demonstrated that just two minutes of hopping per day could strengthen hip bones and reduce the risk of fractures after a fall...

After a full year of hopping, bone mass increases were observed. Most startling was that there were improvements in the thinnest areas of the bone..."

Exercising is good for building better bone health...brisk walking is good. I've Iived in the sun all my life and my vitamin D level is low.

How is your vit K level? Vit K is needed for Vit D to do its job. I don't know how it is needed though. If it has to do with generating vit D, it might matter. If it is letting vit D function then it might not.

How is your vit K level? Vit K is needed for Vit D to do its job. I don't know how it is needed though. If it has to do with generating vit D, it might matter. If it is letting vit D function then it might not.
All of my other vitamin levels were normal. The only one that was low is the vitamin d.

Oh. This needs more looking into before I start taking much apple cider vinegar. I was about it for other reasons - I'm trying to get myself ready to be a kidney donor (lol, preferable a live donor).

The transplant center cares about the cholesterol levels of the donors. That is what is keeping my daughter from qualifying and my levels are iffy sometimes. I know cutting exercising more and out junk food is the way to go but I was looking at acv for other reasons when I saw that lowering ldl and raising hdl is one of the claims for acv that has more science evidence behind it that most claims. According to a website I know nothing about.
Be extremely careful with this and do more research before you start taking it because if I'm not mistaken it can inhibit the absorption of calcium which can cause all kinds of other problems.
Exercise is another great thing that can lower your bad cholesterol.

According to the Salt Solution cookbook, "...When sodium intake increases, calcium excretion increases. Researchers think that your body leeches calcium from your bones to replace the calcium lost and keep your blood calcium levels stable. High-salt diets have been shown to increase calcium loss by an average of 20 to 60 milligrams of calciumlost for every 2,300 milligrams of sodium ingested."
And
"US dietary guidelines recently [book published 2011] recommended that the general population eat no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium a day (about 2/3 teaspoon of table salt)... Instead Americans on average consume 3,436 milligrams od sodium daily."

I missed this so far. I was cutting back on salt because I saw staying hydrated is important. That is easier without extra salt.

I lost most of my sense of smell as a freshman in college. I think I probably have eaten much more salt than even the average American because salty is one of the few things I can taste. And I liked salty even before college.

Sigh. I had no idea high salt could affect bones.

I found it looking for things my son in law can eat. He recently found out he has very little kidney function left... and it gets progressively worse. Best hope is to slow the process.

They are very frustrated. Most "low sodium" and "low potassium" "recipes" just leave the salt out of recipes designed to have it. And/or use smaller serving sizes to get the amount per serving down. Not helpful.

:pop Following! I will come back later, read this over again, and check out the links.

Osteoporosis is definitely on my radar. My maternal grandmother had it. She also had Parkinson's, and that limited her mobility, which surely did not help. She fell and broke her hip, and never walked again. A tragedy for a woman whose nickname in her middle age was "Evie-Go." As in, let's go work in the garden, or let's go shopping, or for a walk.

I stopped automatically salting my food in college. The college food service food was plenty salty, to me. I still rarely salt my food, rice being one exception.

A friend of mine uses so much salt... before even tasting anything. (shudder)

Back
Top Bottom