Ostracized guinea

It's interesting that the two males weren't antagonistic in the presence of females. My Mr. Guinea is antagonistic to the chickens now that he has a mate but particularly antagonistic to Violet. He was a real sweetheart before, hanging out with the chickens peacefully, though he would sometimes go after the rooster. You all are right that a male is more likely to pair up with Violet than a female. My current female is cool with Violet but they came from the same "family." My housemate thinks I should get rid of the male because he's such a bully. But good luck finding a home for a rooster. I couldn't find one for Ms. Violet.
What do you get out of having the guineas? Are they a cool addition to your chicken flock, a needed alarm system, bug eating machines, special pets, etc? You might consider whether you really want to keep them and whether they would do better in a larger flock. Adding one or two more probably won’t be enough to make the flock dynamics more functional, and may just make it harder for you to keep the peace since the change in flock dynamics will be a gamble. Many unpleasant Guinea behaviors get dampened by living in a larger flock. If you can find someone with a Guinea flock that would take (and integrate) the trio, things might work out better for them. Best of luck and keep us updated!

What do you get out of having the guineas? Are they a cool addition to your chicken flock, a needed alarm system, bug eating machines, special pets, etc? You might consider whether you really want to keep them and whether they would do better in a larger flock. Adding one or two more probably won’t be enough to make the flock dynamics more functional, and may just make it harder for you to keep the peace since the change in flock dynamics will be a gamble. Many unpleasant Guinea behaviors get dampened by living in a larger flock. If you can find someone with a Guinea flock that would take (and integrate) the trio, things might work out better for them. Best of luck and keep us updated!
Good question. I really do enjoy the guineas. Plus ticks and Lyme disease are a problem in my area- that is the reason I got started with them. I've only ever had two at a time. A pair of guineas is quite happy. My current Mr. Guinea got along just fine with the chickens after his mate was killed, but it was clear that he was lonely though not always a loner. He spent a lot of time looking at his reflection in the glass storm doors, basement windows, etc. It's a joy to see a pair wandering around together, enjoying each other's company. I mistakenly thought the male would enjoy having a second female. I have tried rehoming but have gotten no takers so am trying to figure out how best to go forward. Now I am heading towards a second male, as that seems to be the consensus here. I will report back.

Good question. I really do enjoy the guineas. Plus ticks and Lyme disease are a problem in my area- that is the reason I got started with them. I've only ever had two at a time. A pair of guineas is quite happy. My current Mr. Guinea got along just fine with the chickens after his mate was killed, but it was clear that he was lonely though not always a loner. He spent a lot of time looking at his reflection in the glass storm doors, basement windows, etc. It's a joy to see a pair wandering around together, enjoying each other's company. I mistakenly thought the male would enjoy having a second female. I have tried rehoming but have gotten no takers so am trying to figure out how best to go forward. Now I am heading towards a second male, as that seems to be the consensus here. I will report back.
If you lose your other female, your cock will probably like her again. However, someone with a confusion will probably take a hen since it’s the hens that disappear most during nesting season. You could leave an ad on Craigslist for awhile or a rehoming ad on your local FB poultry group. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

If you lose your other female, your cock will probably like her again. However, someone with a confusion will probably take a hen since it’s the hens that disappear most during nesting season. You could leave an ad on Craigslist for awhile or a rehoming ad on your local FB poultry group. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Yes, I have an ad on 2 craigslist sites but no nibbles. I haven't looked for a FB local poultry group- not sure what it would be called but will look. That's a good idea. Thanks for all your support. Btw, I was out doing errands all afternoon today so I didn't let the chooks free range. My housemate reported that the three guineas were all peacefully together out in the pen. And the same when I came home. At dusk, Violet was still the last one to go in. The other guineas kept coming back out from the coop but Mr Guinea wasn't attacking Violet today. Perhaps they will eventually all get along. I think Violet would still be a loner but a less anxious one. I am now trying to find another male for her. What do you think are the odds that he would pair up with her? I'm wondering if there's something wrong with her. The chicken hens sometimes pick on her, too. She hasn't laid any eggs despite being the same age as her egg laying "sister." Perhaps anxiety or the lack of male companionship inhibits egg laying?

Yes, I have an ad on 2 craigslist sites but no nibbles. I haven't looked for a FB local poultry group- not sure what it would be called but will look. That's a good idea. Thanks for all your support. Btw, I was out doing errands all afternoon today so I didn't let the chooks free range. My housemate reported that the three guineas were all peacefully together out in the pen. And the same when I came home. At dusk, Violet was still the last one to go in. The other guineas kept coming back out from the coop but Mr Guinea wasn't attacking Violet today. Perhaps they will eventually all get along. I think Violet would still be a loner but a less anxious one. I am now trying to find another male for her. What do you think are the odds that he would pair up with her? I'm wondering if there's something wrong with her. The chicken hens sometimes pick on her, too. She hasn't laid any eggs despite being the same age as her egg laying "sister." Perhaps anxiety or the lack of male companionship inhibits egg laying?
They are just so unpredictable! You might get another male and he might love your lone girl and they’ll be happy! Or you might get a cock that only likes the same hen as your current cock and fights him. Or you might get a cock that likes to pick on chickens and you would despise that, let me tell you! It’s strange that this hen hasn’t laid - could you be missing her nest? There could be something wrong with her but guineas often have a bullied, low man out so not necessarily. Also, my flock is done pairing for the year which means a whole reshuffle of dominance for winter.

They are just so unpredictable! You might get another male and he might love your lone girl and they’ll be happy! Or you might get a cock that only likes the same hen as your current cock and fights him. Or you might get a cock that likes to pick on chickens and you would despise that, let me tell you! It’s strange that this hen hasn’t laid - could you be missing her nest? There could be something wrong with her but guineas often have a bullied, low man out so not necessarily. Also, my flock is done pairing for the year which means a whole reshuffle of dominance for winter.
Well, it looks like there's a good outcome to this story. Today after seeing Violet interacting peacefully in the pen, and because we were working outside, I let the chooks out into the yard and all three Guineas hung out together. Violet was usually hanging back a little, but tracking with them. I saw Mr. Guinea charge at the chicken hens a couple of times, but not at Violet. It looks like he has accepted her and hopefully they'll live happily ever after. :)

Well, it looks like there's a good outcome to this story. Today after seeing Violet interacting peacefully in the pen, and because we were working outside, I let the chooks out into the yard and all three Guineas hung out together. Violet was usually hanging back a little, but tracking with them. I saw Mr. Guinea charge at the chicken hens a couple of times, but not at Violet. It looks like he has accepted her and hopefully they'll live happily ever after. :)
:celebrate Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom