Ostrich/Emu feed for chickens???

Mikandra

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2021
There's a shortage of chicken feed in my area and some one has 6, 50# bags of Ostrich feed for $120. I am considering it since I'm almost out of feed for my laying hens. Will this hurt them??? They do free range a lil bit (2 flocks at separate times) but it's to cut down on flies and grasshoppers that get out if control this time of yr. otherwise my girls get normal Purina layer feed.

There's a shortage of chicken feed in my area and some one has 6, 50# bags of Ostrich feed for $120. I am considering it since I'm almost out of feed for my laying hens. Will this hurt them??? They do free range a lil bit (2 flocks at separate times) but it's to cut down on flies and grasshoppers that get out if control this time of yr. otherwise my girls get normal Purina layer feed.
I'd love to jump into this conversation, but not w/o seeing the guaranteed nutrition label for the offered feed. Apart from a higher average fiber content, and a somewhat different balance of desired amino acids, ostrich feeds and chicken feeds ofeten compare favorably - but "maintenance" rations for ostriches can be quite low protein (12-14%) and should be avoided.
and if you aren't going to go thru 300# of feed soon, there's real risk it will spoil in the bag, depending on climate and storage, as well.

If you have no other options in your area, then, well, your options are limited. If it does have low protein, add some peas or sunflower seeds to it. If they free range, that too helps a lot. I am concerned that this will become an issue for a whole lot of people in the near future. They are already talking about grain shortages. And no end in sight. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom