OT-Quilting

Thanks, I was really surprised. She's done these for baby quilts with family pictures on them.

WOw! I can't believe I missed this! I was out of town at the time this thread started!
I can't believe the talent here!

I started quilting about 4 years ago. My neighbor is supremely talented and one day Iw as watching her at work and she made me sit down and "sew this together...press, add t his and sew..." etc. Soon I had a log cabin block. She loaned me Log Cabin Quilt IN a Day by Eleanor Burns.
I was hooked. This is my first quilt, a gift to my dear late Grama. Twin size.
18_gmaquilt.jpg

This is a paper pieced Mariners Star. I won 3rd place in a quilt contest with it. Lap size
18_7-25-06_002.jpg

Trip Around the World with Christmas fabrics. Queen size
18_7-25-06_004.jpg

Stack n Whack kaleidoscope queen/king size
18_7-25-06_005.jpg

Christmas Angel applique wallhanging
18_xmaswallhanging.jpg

Courthouse Steps Twin size
18_quiltj.jpg

Photo Memory Quilt wallhanging. I printed the photos out on high quality muslin
18_gramas_memories2.jpg

Stack n Whack kaleidoscope fan quilt. Lap size
18_fan_quilt.jpg

Rubber Duck applique Lap size. This was a fund raiser for The Duck Rescue network
18_duck_quilt_001.jpg

Carpenter's Wheel. Queen Size. I was inspired by "Hidden Block Quilts" by Lerlene Nevaril. All three different blocks are pulled from the main block.

18_carpenters_wheel.jpg

Spools of Thread. I made this one as a Breast Cancer research fundraiser.
18_breastcancerquilt.jpg

This is a Dresden Plate made into a sunflower. Lap Size. Thanks to Miss Matilda "Vanna" Pekin Duck for her modelling services. (Sorry about the poor quality. It was way to bright for this pic.)
18_sunflower_quilt_002.jpg

I do and the best way to get started is to go to a quilt shop in your town and take a class............
I did and you won't be sorry............
jumpy.gif

THE BEST $25.00 dollars I ever spent!

Hello,

Not animal/livestock related, but, does anyone quilt? Any suggestions on websites or books to get started, Is there a "quilting for dummies" book? LOL! I've just seen so many really neat quilts and thought it might be something I'd like to do, if I have the patience for it......

I saw this exact book at Michaels the other day, lol!! But, it would never get a no-sewer like me from the starting gate to finishing with that gorgeous angel quilt of Terri's though, lol!! Wow, this thread is just filled with beautiful work!!
smile.png

I need to temporarily hijack this thread...

I am in the process of making a t-shirt quilt and some of the shirts have lots of writing. I am afraid that the text will be marred if I try to "quilt" over it. Do you think it would be sturdy enough if I tied the quilt instead? If so, does the tying need to be done on the t-shirt or is tying in the sashing sufficient? Thank you.

I missed this too. Where have I been?

Terrie, those are beautiful! Are you saying you did all of those within the last four years? I need to go back and look at the entire thread when I have time.

I need to learn to print photos on muslin on my printer. I am timid because I am afraid I will mess up the printer and DH will have to fix my mess. I took my photos to a copy shop--too expensive.

ncchixlady, the long arm quilting lady in my local fabric store said you need to use a stabilizer when sewing a t-shirt quilt. I can't remember if she quilted over the design or not but it seems she quilted the squares. I wish I had paid more attention. That quilt turned out really pretty. It was for a teenage boy.

I went through all this thread this morning. What talented ladies you are! These comments are a year old and timeless. I bet all those unfinished quilts are now on walls or beds. I am so slow. I feel like a slug next to all of you.

I am self-taught too but I did use a lot of books from the library and watched a few "Simply Quilts" episodes. I love all quilt styles but really like the very old, 1930s, and also the new crisp bold colors quilts. I buy 95% of my fabric from the Hancock remnant table or from Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon discount. So it is reasonable to quilt if there is a Hobby Lobby store nearby.

These days I buy mostly novelty fabrics and make small wall quilts, although I've had a twin size Dresden Plate in a quilt frame for a very long time. Like some of you other ladies, I have an "arm" problem, a rotated cuff thing, which is from gardening and not sewing.

One thing I would add for the beginners is that if you really, really love a fabric (in my case only a yard of novelty), buy it because once these fabrics are sold out, it is unlikely you will find it again. That happened to me when I saw a wall quilt in a book and the fabric was at Hancocks. The fabric sold out quickly and never hit the remnant table.

As one of you pointed out, I only give these little quilts to the people who will treasure them.

Back
Top Bottom