Other chickens being mean to a chicken

Chkgrl06

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Hi everyone. So I’m having a problem I have an Easter egger that is really mean to one chicken in particular. She is constantly jumping on top of her pushing her down to the ground and pulling the feathers up on the back of her neck. I have to physically rush to them just to get her off of this one particular chicken. Well today as soon as I got her off of this chicken another one of my chickens got on top of the same chicken and was doing the same thing. I was getting on to them and going toward them I had to dang near grab this other chicken off Of my poor chicken. I noticed when the second chicken was being mean to her, her butt area was protruded then after a few seconds she finally pooped. 🤷‍♀️ I’m at a loss. Please if anyone can help me figure out why they are doing this I would greatly appreciate it. The dark red one is the one being picked on the lighter chicken is the light one this is bullying (not my actual chickens) couldn’t find one that looks like the main aggressor DE3E1743-7FB2-48E9-9604-E646BA4C0E26.png

Some aggression is normal as part of the established pecking order within the flock. As long as they are not drawing blood, and they have plenty of space for the bullied hen to get away from the others, I would just monitor the situation.

I have the same situation. One of my hens is getting picked on so bad I had to isolate her. She was trembling in the coop hiding from everyone and wouldn't eat or drink. She was molting at the time so I figured she'd go back to normal after the molt, but now she's done and it's still going on. Her head was pecked bloody today! So after lots of different tactics, I have her in a separate area in the coop/run 24/7. I wish I had a better answer, but if anyone else has one I'd like to know too!

So I’m having a problem I have an Easter egger that is really mean to one chicken in particular. She is constantly jumping on top of her pushing her down to the ground and pulling the feathers up on the back of her neck.
The bullied bird could be sick, or just low bird.

More info would help here....
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

New chickens came from a friend, One year olds. They came molting and had never free ranged.
After one night of sleeping together Roxy got a bloody hole pecked in her head by Gracie the Autrasolop, I divided the coop.The next morning I let the new ones out to roam, which they do not know how to do and then let the others out an hour later. All was well until Mr. Dickens want to show he was boss. While he was jumping Roxy the two older chicken rushed in and pecked her hard while she was under him.
I t was horrifying, I tell you. The next day they got hold of Henny Penny and I found her hurt and hiding. traumatized.
I have now separated the new ones completely. I have locked the older one year olds with rooster in the pen for the whole day and the two new ones are free to roam.
Anyone have an idea of how long this will go on?
Food goddess no longer.
Thesa

Some aggression is normal as part of the established pecking order within the flock. As long as they are not drawing blood, and they have plenty of space for the bullied hen to get away from the others, I would just monitor the situation.
Are there any tricks in dealing with this? I have been away from my girls for 6 months they spent the winter here in the cold with 15 other chickens some of them were easter Eggers and I guess they were mean. I'm thinking they might have picked up on the bad habits. Looks like there is some molting happening. If I see it again Im going to separate the bully. Any advice is appreciated .

Back
Top Bottom