Other chickens killing my Silkies

krstL

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 18, 2011
All of my chickens are Bantams. I started out the year with 1 Easter Egger Rooster, 3 Easter Egger Hens, 1 Silver Sebright Rooster and 1 Silkie hen. I was supposed to have 4 more but those chicks did not survive including my other Silkie. These 6 were hatched out in May and were raised together. I've noticed that while the others tolerated the Silkie they picked on her more and she stays in the nest box rather than roosting with them (can't fly up to do so?). About a month ago I added two 4/mo Silkies to the flock hoping they would keep my other Silkie company. They were much more docile and friendly, would come up and sit on my feet. The others seemed to pick on them at first so I was careful to feed them separetely and make sure they had access to water, etc. The two had been kept in a flock before coming to me. All of my chickens free range during the day but are kept in a very secure, predator proof, chicken coop at night. It would be very difficult for anything larger than a mouse to get inside.

The new Silkie chicks did okay for the first month then we found one of the Silkie chicks dead one morning but did not see any obvious injury. We thought maybe a disease had gotten to her. A couple of days ago we found the other Silkie chick dead and she had very obvious injury and blood on the back of her neck. This happened inside the coop when the chickens were put up for the night.

I'm fairly certain she was attacked by the other chickens, maybe the dominant Easter Egger Rooster?

I have little experience with chickens and even less with Silkies. Now I'm wondering if it is a mistake to keep Silkies in with other breeds of chickens? They seem so different and so much more docile. My one remaining Silkie is always being pushed away from the others and chased around.

Last edited:
Yes, separate your silkies ASAP. Their skulls are not fully closed and if pecked just right bad things happen. Just starting to raise silkies myself and have been advised to keep them apart from my regular pullets.
Don't give up on them, check your local Craig's list for local breeders/sellers. I bought 3 silkies ($6.00 each) from a local breeder in SC.
Good luck!

When can you place the Silkies with others? When they're older?

Mine are aout 2 weeks and I placed them in with my 5 week old Javas with no problems yet. I am now wondering if I should seperate the silkie back to the other smaller coop?

I place them together out of conveince but will do the right thing if necessary. I have grown so attached to my chickens!
smile.png

I just feel so horrible that these two died from being attacked. They were so puppy-dog like. I wish I had trusted my instincts more and separated them.

I am so sorry you have this problem. Guess I was lucky - I didn't think about having a variety flock and a lone silkie. It's been a year and no problems. Her eggs aren't fertile; I've never seen the roo pay any attention to her. Huh. I guess mine thinks it's not a chicken. So sad about yours.

Chickens will attack anything and anybody that looks different. Since they do look so distinctively different I am surprised this happened. Definetely keep them separated until they are adults. You may have to do that as a permanent option or maybe once they get older teh other pullets will accept them.

Back
Top Bottom