Other mother ducklings trust me?

duck4u

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
This new ducklings about 2 DAYS old so young have emerged.
Well today while I was with my two ducklings preparing them to sleep so I can lave the mother and other ducklings came and went right behind me and started to sleep there.
I went and got food and feed my ducklings and those ducklings who seemed to like me. They would crawl on my hand and eat the bread and the others will eat it off my hand. The mother was trying to bite me but whenever she did it didn't hurt, it was the bite like my ducklings do when they eat food off my hands. I gave her food too but she doesn't like me. I went to pet the ducklings and they didn't get annoyed or scared.

Last edited:
Are these wild ducks? I wouldn't try to pet them or play with them in any way. It's not good for wild ducks to be too friendly with people because they may migrate into areas where people hunt ducks or go to areas where people might hurt them. So, even though they come up to you, it's best not to try to touch or handle them.

Are these wild ducks? I wouldn't try to pet them or play with them in any way. It's not good for wild ducks to be too friendly with people because they may migrate into areas where people hunt ducks or go to areas where people might hurt them. So, even though they come up to you, it's best not to try to touch or handle them.

X2!!!

They're muscovies which are protected by animal abuse treaty in florida.

Yes, they are protected, but since they live out in the open, they could be hurt by people if they become too trusting. A lot of people hurt ducks, even if they're protected. It's best not to get too friendly with them unless you plan to house and protect them.

Funny, I wrote a reply to this thread two days ago about but it seems my response was deemed too harsh and has been since deleted.

So Duck4u, in the nicest possible way I can so that my post does not get deleted again, you MUST leave the wild birds alone. They are not pets and if you have released your ducklings into the wild then you should leave them alone to learn how to be wild ducks again. Continuing to feed them is only going to make it harder for them to survive.

I cannot understand why you raised the ducklings and then released them, did you not want to keep them as a pet any more? You wouldn't raise a puppy or kitten then release it then continue to visit and feed them. Do you want them to be pets or wild animals? You cannot have it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom