Other Pets & Livestock Database

Name: Cockatiel
Experience Needed: Research should be done before purchase but are often a first time bird
Origin: Australia
Diet: A Proper Seed diet along with fresh veggies
Temperament: Will vary on Individual but are usual quite playful
Colors: Grey, Cinnamon,Olive,Silver, Whiteface,Pied, Fallow, Yellowcheek, Pearl, Pastelface, Lutino
Environment: Make sure to be kepet warm and their cage needs to be draft free.
Family: Can make a wonderful Family Pet

Notes: Cockatiels are wonderful creatures. They can be taught to talk and whistle.

pikanandy2.PNG

Source: http://www.mickaboo.org:8080/display/MBPublic/Cockatiel+finalist+entries

Name: Clydesdale (Horse)
Experience Needed: Quite a bit. Although most individuals of this breed have a good attitude, they are very large animals and can be dangerous to people with no or little experience in handling horses
Origin: Scotland
Diet: large % of fiber and protein. I feed tons of hay and straw as well as some ultimate finish if I need to fill out one of the mares.
Temperament: Varies on individual. Generally these horses are mild tempered and extremely personable. They are very tied to their daily schedule and constant changes in their environment will make them very nervous and sometimes cranky. These horses bond very strongly with their handlers and their herd. Sudden changes will upset them greatly.
Environment: Pastures or dry dirt lots. Be careful to make sure they do not ingest any sand while in the dry lot. These horses eat a lot and if not fed properly will start searching the ground for anything edible- for better or worse.
Coloring: Clydes come in several different colors. Most of them are bay with a large white blaze and white legs. Some come with black as a base color. There are also several red and black roans out there.
Family: I don’t have any doubts they could be a great asset to any family.

Additional Notes: The large amount of feathering on Clydes can cause mud fever if not keep dry. It is best to keep them stalled or in a dry lot during rainy weather if possible. Many examples of this breed are also prone to founder since they are quite hardy. My Clydes do not do well in the summer months but LOVE the winter. Those horses literally weigh a ton and require special tack (if used for riding). It is best to consult a professional riding instructor when breaking these animals for riding since injuries can occur and can be very serious. If kept in a smaller area, Clydesdales will require a significant amount of pasture rotation to protect the grass from overgrazing and the ground from getting too “pounded down”. Edited to add that many Clydes come with a cropped tail, meaning a large part of it is missing. This was done to prevent the tail to get stuck in the wagon when the horses pull. In the summer these horses will need some extra protection since they cannot swat at flies very easily.

74337_river.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Kevin. Any questions, please always feel free to contact us. What we cannot answer, some of the breeders we know may be able to answer.

I'll keep that in mind. I would love to add some more Horse Profiles but have no experience with them so all my information is simply research gathered from the internet. .

Quote:
I can't help too much either, I am just a draft horse person. I am sure a few of our fellow equine enthusiasts will find this thread before too long
thumbsup.gif

I hope so. There are so many breeds and species that people would love to own just don't know the right information. Once again thank you very much for your help
hugs.gif

Species: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

Experience Needed: Virtually None. They are very difficult to kill from neglect and are very good children's pets.

Origin: Madagascar

Appearance: Hissing Cockroaches range in size from 2-4" when full grown. They range in color from light to dark brown and have a series of black spots along the thorax. the head is adorned with a black plate that, on males, has small hornlike protrusions. The antenna are medium length and quite feathery on males wheras on females are rather drab.

Lifespan: 1-2 years

Temperament: Surprisingly calm once they are used to being handled. They cannot bite, jump, or fly, but they do Hiss if frightened. Each hisser has its own personality and they can be fairly personable pets.

Enclosure: A small critter keeper, fish tank, or other sealed and ventilated container. Remember that they can climb the glass, so the enclosure needs to have a secure lid. They require only about 6" of space per hisser and are very active at night. The enclosure should include a nice place to hide during the day. A toilet paper tube usually works for this. This species is slightly arboreal, so a few sticks should be included to give them a place to get off the ground. For bedding many things can be used including coconut fiber, sand, toilet paper, and non fertilized potting soil. Avoid the use of wood shaving as these contain toxins that can harm the cockroaches.

Diet: Hissers are not very specific in their diet and can be fed a variety of foods. Their diet should consist primarily of fresh fruits and vegetables. Such fruits and veggies can include oranges, apples, carrots, pears, celery, and turnips. They are not picky about their fruits and veggies, but the diet should consist primarily fruit with veggies for supplimentation. Be sure to remove any uneaten food each day and replace it with fresh food. They also may be fed processed foods intended for other animals. These foods, listed here in order of suitability, include rabbit pellets, sweet cop grain, chicken pellets or crumbles, dog food, and cat food. These foods should be supplimented with fresh foods.

Watering: There are several methods of watering Hissers. The main method is a small water dish with a sponge. The Hissers suck the water from the sponge when they need a drink. also a misting the tank daily will privide enough water for them to drink. A small popbottle lid can be used as a water dish as well.

68426_chicks_031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom