83497_cs.jpg

Name: Cherry Head Conure
Experience Needed: Should do allot of researching before going and buying
Origin: South-western Ecuador, North-western Peru
Size: 13 in, in length, half of which is the tail
Life span: 20-30 years
Diet: fresh fruits, vegetables, a high quality
conure seed mix, and pellets
Temperament: intelligent and affectionate, easy to tame and are good talkers.
Colors: Green And Red
Environment: Not Apartment Pets
Family: In general, make good family pets as long as they have been well socialized.

Additional Notes: Can Be Very Noisy,
Very Messy
Can Be Nippy

83497_chc.jpg

Thank you so much for all of these wonderful profiles
hugs.gif

Species: Leopard Gecko

Experience Needed: No experience is needed, but you'll need to do your research. A great first time reptile!

Origin: Most of todays pet geckos originated in Pakistan, though they do also come from eastern Iran, Afghanistan, and north western India.

Diet: Your leopard geckos diet will mainly consist of gut loaded mealworms or crickets. There is much debate over which is better, but I personally prefer mealworms for their ease of use, being able to be certain of how much my gecko eats, and the fact they don't nibble on my geckos! They can also be fed dubia roaches and silkworms. Superworms should ONLY be fed if their heads are cut off so that they cannot internally harm the gecko. When they are full grown, they can also occasionally enjoy pinkie mice - females are more inclined to eat them, apparently. Waxworms and king mealworms should only be fed as treats, or if they need to fatten up.

Colors: There are many, many morphs of geckos. As far as I can research there are several different incompatible strains of albinos, patternless, normals, jungles, bandits, bolds, bold stripes, mack snows, super snows, sunglows, carrot tails, blacks, and even more. As I am not proficient in describing or even recognizing all of these colors, I won't go into further detail. You can visit this website for more information on morphs.

Housing: A 10 gallon tank can be suitable for one gecko, or even possibly 2 females that get along well. In your tank, you will need one place for them to hide, a water dish, and a moist hide (a place for them to shed). Extra space for them to explore can be a nice touch. Remember your geckos will need warmth as reptiles, so an under-tank heater is necessary. You can also buy heat lamps, though since geckos are nocturnal I don't prefer them. Again, since they are nocturnal, no UVB lighting is necessary. The most common substrate is sand, though it is a HUGE no-no. Sand can cause impaction from ingestion during exploring and prey capture, which will kill your gecko; calcium fortefied sand will actually make them want to eat it! The best substrate is the high quality peel-n-stick "tile", which the adhesive won't melt and the materials won't give off harmful gases. Tile slate/other flat rocks can be used, but make sure the edges aren't sharp and they aren't so thick heat can't pass through.

Family: Leopard geckos can make great family pets, but they are sensitive and it would be very easy to crush them. They also drop their tails as defense mechanism. I wouldn't recommend them for children younger than 10.

Temperament: This depends both on genetics and how they've been handled/how much. Some geckos are very laid back and enjoy handling, while others don't and are "suicide jumpers" or are even aggressive. All geckos, even the sweeter, will bite if not properly handled (as I have learned from experience). I've learned it's best to let your gecko know your hand is there, then slowly move to pet them or pick them up. To pick mine up, I sort of scoop them then hold them in the palm of my hands. Never squeeze your gecko or pick them up by the tail. Coming in from the top of your gecko without warning will cause them to scream and nip, handling directly after the feeding can be cause for a bite. I've been bitten twice for both instances of stupidity and it doesn't hurt nor draw blood, even though they do have small teeth. Both of these instances were "bite and release"; they rarely ever really bear down. If the gecko is a juvenile from a pet store or from a person who didn't care about your gecko, you can expect an animal which will not be able to be held and which will be flighty or aggressive as you are trying to tame it.

Prices/Buying: Prices vary wildly for leos, depending on their color and age. Fully grown normals can cost you, on average, $60 and up, while the newest hardest varieties to produce will cost thousands of dollars. Those animals with better color will also be more expensive. Juveniles also vary depending on where you buy them. My advice; don't ever buy from petstores. They're not handled or even partially tamed. Your best bet is to purchase from a breeder or find one that needs a home on CL. Remember when buying only to buy those with no shedding problems (left over skin on the toes or missing toes), and fat tails (a sign of good health).

Additional Notes: They are really fun little critters and a joy to own (even in the learning stages!) They were my first reptiles I bought and I do recommend them as a first time reptile. Just remember they can live as long as 20 years! So be prepared to love them for a long time.

A few of the leos are a bit underweight in some of these pictures. They were still gaining weight... they weren't taken of very well in their old home.

Blaine, a high yellow aberrant pattern -

12583_img_1200_copy.jpg

Kalani, a mack snow -

12583_img_1226_copy.jpg

12583_img_2069.jpg

Tyko, a Emerine/Redstripe cross -

12583_untitled-1_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Great Profile ChickenWisperer
thumbsup.gif
. Your geckos are amazing
love.gif

Species: Green Cheek Conure

Scientific name: Pyrrhura molinae

Experience needed: Need parrot experience. Do your research before buying!

Origin: West-central and southern Mato Grosso, Brazil, through Bolivia to Argentina.

Size: About 10 inches from beak to tail.

Weight: 60 - 90 g
111861_birdies_047.jpg

Jacki, being cute ^^^
Colors: Primarily green, grey-ish crown, green cheeks, blue primary wing feathers, long maroon tail, a red abdominal area. Grey feet, and skin patch around eyes. For short, I call them rainbow birds haha
tongue.png
The green-cheeked conure species has a few color mutations, cinnamon, yellow-sided & blue. Then theres Pineapples which results from breeding a cinnamon Green-Cheeked with
a Yellow-Sided green cheek.

Life Span: 30 years with proper care and exersize.

Sexing: Not dimorphic. Sexing the bird will require DNA testing.

Temperament: Fun and acrobatic little birds. Always into something. Good temperament and disposition. They have busy beaks and are little trouble makers.

Housing: Cage should be as big as possible. Bird should be able to move around freely inside the cage, must be able to fully expand their wings with-out the wings hitting sides of cages. Tail should not hit the back of the cage while perched. Plenty of toys and perches should be available. Many
different textured and diametered perches should be avaible to ensure healthy feet. Foraging, wood,
shreddable, noisy, Puzzle, interactive, & foot toys should all be available both inside and outside of the cage to prevent
boredom, boredom leads to bad behaviours. Playstands and foraging stations should be available out-side of the cage.
Bedding should be newspaper/paper towels. Corn cob is a no-no. Look into getting a seed catcher to go around the cage,
as well.

Talking ability & noise: They can pick up many different words phrases and sounds. Not the best talkers, speech is a bit fuzzy and hard to understand. Great at making noises and sounds. Green cheek conures have a less peircing scream than the sun, or other conures.

Family: Good for experienced families. Any children MUST be supervized around the bird. Birds are very fragile. If any other pets exist in the home, the bird should have a totally bird safe erea/room to
live in. Other pets should be supervised around birds.

Price:Anywhere form $300-$500 possibly $600 in my erea.

Exersize: Built for flying long distances everyday - like all birds. Green cheeks need plenty of exersize and 'out-side of cage' play time. A minimum of 2-3 hours a day. Preferably all day in
a bird-safe erea, away from any other pets.

Diet & Nutrition: Green cheeks will do well on a high quality pellet, tons of fresh fruits and veggies a bit of seeds and nuts. Any healthy SAFE table scrapes is good to offer, also.

Fresh water should always be available!

Attention: Like all birds, Green Cheek Conures are very social creatures. A minimum of 2 hours a day of interaction and attention should be given to your green cheek. If they're not getting the attention they need, they may develop bad behaviours such as screaming/biting/feather plucking, etc. If you cannot spend as much time that is needed with your bird, look into getting a feathered companion for him/her. Does not have to be in the same cage to keep each other company, but in the same room.

Routine Care: Daily feeding and watering, if your bird makes a mess of his/her water, change water multiple times daily. Clean the cage atleast twice a week. You'll definatly find seeds/pellets/poop with-in a two foot range outside of the cage, so vaccuming/sweeping and wiping down the cage stand is a must. Disinfect everything once a month, wash water and feed bowls once a week and wipe over everything in the cage a couple times a week. Mist the birds with room temp. water a couple times a week with a plant mister. Mist during warmest part of the day.

Other Info: One of the smallest in the conure family, the green cheek conure is popular because they are less noisy than most conures, and small in size. Often confused for maroon bellied conures when young. Be sure to buy from a reputable breeder. not petstores.

111861_birdies_050.jpg

Jacki the green cheek conure & Teeki the hahns macaw ^^^
111861_beeeeewhhyyy_ceee.jpg

^^^ Jacki playing underneath my desk
roll.png

I though I'd also add in that I have parrot experience, and experience with green cheek conures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom