other than being adorable- ducks?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I had a pekin for a short time as a teenager, my boyfriend at the time bought me a pekin duck. It was the sweetest thing, followed me everywhere. A man my mother worked with had a farm and she told me about it and I agreed *biscuit* would be happier there. Fast forward 18 yrs. I love ducks but dh say no way, they are too messy. Is there anything that ducks can provide that chickens don't?

Here are the reasons I love ducks.

1.) They don't fly up and poop all over everything like chickens do.
2.) You don't need to build roosts or nesting boxes - just pile some hay in a corner of the coop and they'll make their own nest.
3.) They're easier to take care of in the winter than chickens. With the chickens I always had to deal with frozen waterers. With the ducks I just fill a big black rubber bowl full of water everyday. When I change the water, I just kick the ice out of the bowl.
4.) They have more personality.
5.) Ducks outlay chickens, and the eggs are bigger and better for baking.

Have we convinced you yet?
lol.png

I don't know a lot about ducks other than they are messy and mean. I had a couple of rabbits and a couple of ducks and the ducks pecked off the rabbits face. I never thought a duck would do that. I decided there would never be another duck again

they guard my back door. I got three scovies in the backyard and nobody dares to enter the yard. My drake is aggresive right now,since my light choc. hen is broody under the steps. He even charged at me after i got out of the yard.

Ducks...MEAN???

None of my ducks are mean. My buff hen is loud and obnoxious, but not mean. My drake is protective of his girls, but he is not mean either. My little khaki/buff mix is a big lovey-duck. Likes to be petted and everything!

My other ducks aren't that friendly, but they were flock-raised. I even got one of them to eat out of my hand.

I wanted ducks ever since I heard they eat slugs, earwigs and other creepy crawlies. The fact that my runner and my buff lay huge eggs is just a side benefit. They also eat dandelions and plantains. Hubby loves that they are helping with weed control.

If we had room, we would also get a goose so he didn't have to mow anymore
big_smile.png

Maybe I ought to rethink the ducks, I'm for anything that will get rid of creepy crawlies:)

Hee hee hee

My desire to see all slugs die after they destroyed my garden 3 years in a row was an important motivation for getting ducks.

Some breeds are more mellow than others. I have heard great things about Welsh Harlequins, so I am getting some of those soon. They lay eggs like khaki, but are more laid back and friendly.

I've never heard of a duck attacking a rabbit...but then I don't know anyone who permanently houses them together...but for yard time I've seen my friend put them out together...hmmm...are you sure the rabbit was alive? Ducks are pretty good scavengers...maybe the rabbit keeled over so they wanted to recycle it???
The only thing my ducks slaughter is watermelon!!!! Weeeee! Looks like carnage...or lipstick...
tongue.png

Life w/o ducks is a sad existence!

Back
Top Bottom