Others I see hold their chickens

chickalicia

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Bakersfield ca
Sorry if in wrong area to post this but I have seen pics of others holding their chickens or even being able to grab the rooster and hold. How can I get at least my hens to let me hold them? I have had them for about six months. I talk to them try to hand feed them their treats etc. they will let me touch very briefly tho their back. Lol one day one decided to fly up and sit on my back as I was bending down to look at eggs. My boys laughed so much. They don't seemed bothered by me but unable to hold them. Any suggestions will be wonderful

Are your chickens laying yet? I've noticed if mine are skittish as chicks, they seem to calm down once they start laying.

Some of my girls love to be held, others tolerate it, and I have had some that would act like I was killing them when I picked them up (bought them as laying pullets and they weren't handled much).

It depends a lot on personality and how you spend your time with them, in my experience.

With our ISA browns (breed known for friendlieness) we just gave them lots of tasty seeds and spent a long time with them in the garden and getting them used to us walking around them. Mealworms really help too.
I currently have a very untame rooster I am about to start trying to tame up, I have a thread further down might be an interesting read for you.

Thank you for responding. Yes I spend time with them. I don't let them roam free I have neighbors close by and a pitbull behind us-neighbors. I have bout 15' x 51/2' tall x 6'. So they have lots of room to roam around I stay in there talk calmly to them hold my hand out feed them treats. Gonna try meal worms. They follow me oh yes they are laying eggs now. Was so excited when I got my first egg! One hen for sure after she started has turned more skittish in fact she pushed all her eggs out I believe on day 12-13 I have 13 incubated and one broke. So I dissected it to see and it was a formed chick. Still had yoke tho. Had feathers and everything. I see movement in the others I saved -egg moves on it's own. But yes I will try to spend more time with them
1f423.png

You don't mention if you raised these six-month olds from the time they were baby chicks. That's usually the best way to achieve lap hens. These older ones should come around in time, as long as they're inclined to be people friendly in their genes, some breeds being more stand-offish than others.

If you want the next batch of chicks to be super friendly, you need to raise them in a side-access brooder. None of this handling from above by thrusting your hands down into the box, scaring the living daylights out of them.

From the first week, they should be held frequently to accustom them to being handled. While they're in the brooder, it's an excellent time to train them to come to you, using voice cues and employing treats. It's easy to train them to walk onto your hand and it aids tremendously in being able to handle them easily.

But it all begins in the first days of your chicks' lives with a side access brooder.

Post note: chicks raised by a broody hen will probably not end up being the people friendly chickens you're seeking.

Ok. Ty for the info v helpful! Yes mine wer w the mother before me n not handled. They come up to me n not too afraid but not able to hold. That's alright. I will work on new chicks Iam praying will hatch both w broody and incubator.

they're all different. Some like to be held, some don't. I have 6 that I raised from eggs myself and out of those, only 2 are easy to pick up. 3 others tolerate it and one acts like I am killing her if I manage to get my hands on her. She screeches and struggles. I don't think I could tame that one, no matter how many mealworms I had.

Sorry if in wrong area to post this but I have seen pics of others holding their chickens or even being able to grab the rooster and hold. How can I get at least my hens to let me hold them? I have had them for about six months. I talk to them try to hand feed them their treats etc. they will let me touch very briefly tho their back. Lol one day one decided to fly up and sit on my back as I was bending down to look at eggs. My boys laughed so much. They don't seemed bothered by me but unable to hold them. Any suggestions will be wonderful
Hello i am new on here but it depends on the breed and when you got them... If i know their breed that helps and If you would tell me the situation they came from and how old they were when u got them, i might be able to help. :)

Two are an Asian breed and kelso I believe. I got them when they wer approx 4 mo. They came from friends of ours. I know the previous owner has them n cages of course let's em run around a bit and spends quitea bit of time with them when not at work. I know he handles them also.
It's funny the description of how mortie described handle long one of the chickens lol that's how mine do when I had to move one one time. Cried and screeched like I was killing her lol. The rooster came so fast. But he just watched with his sounds also when I put her down.
Iceman that's a beautiful hen what kind is that

Two are an Asian breed and kelso I believe. I got them when they wer approx 4 mo. They came from friends of ours. I know the previous owner has them n cages of course let's em run around a bit and spends quitea bit of time with them when not at work. I know he handles them also.
It's funny the description of how mortie described handle long one of the chickens lol that's how mine do when I had to move one one time. Cried and screeched like I was killing her lol. The rooster came so fast. But he just watched with his sounds also when I put her down.
Iceman that's a beautiful hen what kind is that
Well good to know that the chickens had been held when they were younger, but maybe you haven't bonded enough with them... chicks usually bond the most in their first 4 months. but i am not familiar with the breeds you have sadly, but i guess thats more for me to learn. That rooster could be a slight problem... have you ever tried to seperate the rooster and the hens for a bit? the hens are usually more open when roosters arent around and if u take your hens out one by one or have them all out with the roosterr in the coop they might be a little more calmer knowing that they wont be guarded the whole time.
And my bird is a Golden Campine. She's mine. This is my dad's account so i use his more than he does. :) haha.

Back
Top Bottom