Our Ameraucana, boy or girl?

I'm no expert by any means but that bird has yellow legs, a rose comb and appears to be silver laced, so my guess would be that it is a Silver laced Wyandotte and probably a roo with that amount of redness in it's comb and wattles at such a young age. An Ameraucana should, I think, have slate legs, a pea comb and probably not that colouring. Hopefully someone with experience of these breeds will chip in and confirm..... or maybe say I'm typing a load of tosh!,
roll.png

I'm no expert by any means but that bird has yellow legs, a rose comb and appears to be silver laced, so my guess would be that it is a Silver laced Wyandotte and probably a roo with that amount of redness in it's comb and wattles at such a young age. An Ameraucana  should, I think, have slate legs, a pea comb and probably not that colouring. Hopefully someone with experience of these breeds will chip in and confirm..... or maybe say I'm typing a load of tosh!,:rolleyes:   

X2! I'm not experienced but I saw SLW right away. Would definitely say cockerel.

I'm no expert by any means but that bird has yellow legs, a rose comb and appears to be silver laced, so my guess would be that it is a Silver laced Wyandotte and probably a roo with that amount of redness in it's comb and wattles at such a young age. An Ameraucana should, I think, have slate legs, a pea comb and probably not that colouring. Hopefully someone with experience of these breeds will chip in and confirm..... or maybe say I'm typing a load of tosh!,
roll.png
Yup, that is no Ameraucana. Definitely a cockerel most likely a hatchery quality SLW.

Last edited:
Thanks yeah we looked up pictures and it's a SLW for sure. The feed store said it was a Ameracanna and supposed to a hen.
So we didn't want a rooster but looks like we do. What are the downfalls to keeping him (was Betsy guess it now Billy) with our other 5 hens (4 different breeds). I don't want chicks. If we collect eggs daily are we ok? Do the eggs taste different with a rooster in the hen house? We would find a home for him and be sad to see him go as he is the friendliest of our 6. Has been since day one.
Also our are about 8 weeks or so now. Could we get say 2 more chicks (Ameracanna or EE) and when old enough put with the other 5 ok.

So long as you collect eggs daily they are just fine, taste no different than unfertilized eggs. They have to be incubated at about 100F for a couple days before they develop.
A few more girls for him would not be a bad thing. Cockerels have a tendency to be quite...amorous when they are young, lol. The more girls they have the less you have to worry about him over breeding, stressing them out and damaging the feathers on their backs.

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, he's friendly....for now. It's actually not "friendly" so much as "bold" behavior. And it's quite likely to change when the hormones hit. With that little cutie holding him, and any other littles you might have around, I'd have a rapid contingency plan for getting rid of him at the first sign of aggression. Randy cockerels and little kiddos often end badly.

agree with donrae, watch out for him. Kids are especially vulnerable to attack - because they are closer to the ground, pecked eyes, spurred legs - not fun at all.

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, he's friendly....for now. It's actually not "friendly" so much as "bold" behavior. And it's quite likely to change when the hormones hit. With that little cutie holding him, and any other littles you might have around, I'd have a rapid contingency plan for getting rid of him at the first sign of aggression. Randy cockerels and little kiddos often end badly.

agree with donrae, watch out for him. Kids are especially vulnerable to attack - because they are closer to the ground, pecked eyes, spurred legs - not fun at all.
I agree totally with Diva and donrae. Those roosters that start out being the friendliest and the most affectionate, are often roosters that, when the hormones start raging, look at you (or the kids) as rivals rather than keepers. They have no respect for you....they never had to learn to respect you. And he may be fine - one of those roosters that lives a long, happy life knowing his place in the flock and allowing you to retain your title as "flock master". But do watch him carefully around kids and don't be afraid to do whatever you have to do to protect them. I had to cull one for aggression. It was a tough call but around here a rooster gets one chance. Scout blew his. (You can read his story by clicking on the story of Scout and the frostbitten feet in my signature)

Back
Top Bottom