Our Basset Hound is Prego

Status
Not open for further replies.

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Earlier this year my cousin came to live with us. With him came a UNFIXED female Basset named Deadwood. My aunt and uncle (truckers) wanted to breed her this December - her 2 yr birthday. Unfortunately Deadwood went into heat earlier this month. In my house all the dogs were fixed at a young age, so i did not recognize the warning signs. However, the neighbors' Dachshund did. The pups are due about December 20th near as i can tell. Does anyone know what these kind of pups will be like? I've heard mutts are healthier in some ways. Would you charge for them? I am partial to giving them away free but my aunt and uncle think we can sell them.

Kinda excited -

Mariah

Honestly, come up with some cute name and you could probably get a pretty penny for them.

Pretty sure back in the day, people didn't think a Lab/poodle mutt would bring anything, but call it a Labradoodle and charge $600.

A Bashund? A Dachet?

I'm forseeing A LOT of back and leg issues for these poor pups. Is it too late to do a spay/abort?

Quote:
Both breeds are already long with short legs. I don't really see there being any more problems than there would normally be.

I'm all for spaying and neutering. There are already too many unwanted pets as it is!

If spaying is an option, jump on it quickly and get it done.
smile.png

If the due date is around Dec 20 she was just bred (that day is more than 63 days anyway, but maybe your math is off). This also means you can get her into the vet to get a mis-mate shot, and abort the litter. That way you can take some time to get her spayed if you can't do it right at this time. Trust me, you don't want this litter. You will LOSE money even if you can sell the pups. Raising a litter is an expensive, time consuming process ESPECIALLY if you are not willing to cut corners. And how would you feel if you not only lost the puppies, but your female as well? . Bassets can have whelping problems due to their conformation. Do you have an extra $2000 to spend on an emergency c-section in the middle of the night? You would most likely end up needing a spay at that time anyway, so better just to do it now. PLEASE choose to do the right thing in this situation

Ouch, that stinks. I agree with others . . . abort and spay her as soon as possible.

Quote:
Both breeds are already very, very prone to these problems. Mixing typical Dachshund energy with a heavier Basset body? Poor dogs.
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom