Our Beloved Suede Is Gone: January 2007-September 2012

She is sitting under the coop most of the day, not eating much. I'll have to check to see if she's losing weight. She's just finishing her molt so is probably down a pound or so anyway so it may be hard to gauge. Dusty, who was laying three eggs per week, hasn't laid since he died.

She is sitting under the coop most of the day, not eating much. I'll have to check to see if she's losing weight. She's just finishing her molt so is probably down a pound or so anyway so it may be hard to gauge. Dusty, who was laying three eggs per week, hasn't laid since he died.
Who ever says chickens don't mourn has never witnessed this. :(

Who ever says chickens don't mourn has never witnessed this. :(

Those who cannot see this do not look. When my son of Suede, Thor died we found him on the floor of the coop with our Delaware, Cannonball lying beside him with her neck outstretched over his. For three days she would not eat and all she would do was lie in the spot he fell. We nearly lost her but with lots of attention and TLC she survived. They mourn and show affection and I know Thor loved me and Suede loved Cyn...you can see it.

I have seen hens stand over and protect a dying hen. My head hen (a daughter of Suede) was dying herself and she stood vigil over a dying SLW. Weeks later when that head hen was dying, my other Suede daughter stood vigil over DeDe.

I really feel sorry for people who see these birds as just stupid chickens because that is so far from the truth that it is sad.

Last edited:
Those who cannot see this do not look. When my son of Suede, Thor died we found him on the floor of the coop with our Delaware, Cannonball lying beside him with her neck outstretched over his. For three days she would not eat and all she would do was lie in the spot he fell. We nearly lost her but with lots of attention and TLC she survived. They mourn and show affection and I know Thor loved me and Suede loved Cyn...you can see it.
I have seen hens stand over and protect a dying hen. My head hen (a daughter of Suede) was dying herself and she stood vigil over a dying SLW. Weeks later when that head hen was dying, my other Suede daughter stood vigil over DeDe.
I really feel sorry for people who see these birds as just stupid chickens because that is so far from the truth that it is sad.
Yes, I have seen this with my own hen Dixie. While she was fading away (internal laying or old age - something similar to that) our head hen (who was her sidekick) stayed with her for her last few days. Another hen would clean her beak after she ate and Denny would not free range when Dixie was ill. Now there may be some hens that don't show emotion, but for members in the flock like Suede and your Thor as well as my Dixie - they were definitely mourned by their friends and family.

I m sorry about your Dixie...they are amazing.
Yes Suede was a good boy and very special.
Thank you Cetawin. We really want to name our farm after her, but are not sure what would fit.. We were thinking a grow out coop called Dixie's Chicks at least.

I am also sorry for your loss as well. She will remain my avatar for as long as I'm on here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom