Our chickens won't leave the coop since it snowed

Mine are staying in. I have an elderly one that is not getting around super well so I am keeping them in.

However.... So long as I shovel some, spread some straw and or toss some scratch out even the tiny cochins will go out in it.

I keep the water in the coop in the winter. Never had an issue with doing so. My coop is large and the ceiling is well above their heads so that may play a part.

Given the choice in cold temps like this morning's -7 mine stay in on their own. Many will get on and off the roosts spending some time to warm those toes.

Last edited:
We've had two light snowfalls and it seems to baffle them! It's like they don't know where they are when they can't see the ground.

The first night with snow on the ground all but one decided to huddle under the coop rather than going inside, so we moved them. Thankfully with these subzero temps, we didn't have to do that last night! BRRR

Just to see what mine would do......

I needed to let them out so..... I spread straw in the run BUT did not put it all the way to one pop door. I did put it all the way to the second door. I opened the door with no straw first. It was a chicken traffic jam as nobody would set foot in the snow to get to the straw only a couple feet away.
When I opened the second door everyone came to take a look then as if it was a race left the coop. Nobody stepped in the snow while I watched for 15 minutes.

Verdict from mine is that snow is yucky.

Just to see what mine would do......

I needed to let them out so..... I spread straw in the run BUT did not put it all the way to one pop door. I did put it all the way to the second door. I opened the door with no straw first. It was a chicken traffic jam as nobody would set foot in the snow to get to the straw only a couple feet away.
When I opened the second door everyone came to take a look then as if it was a race left the coop. Nobody stepped in the snow while I watched for 15 minutes.

Verdict from mine is that snow is yucky.
Mine won't touch bare snow either. My theory is they don't know how deep it is. Packed down snow will sometimes be crossed quickly if there's hay on the other side. Mine are still getting used to the sudden colder temperatures this year. I am hoping to see more outside action later this week when it warms into the 20's.

I was worried about the old hen. When I c!osed the coop she was in. I do not think she went out at all which is fine with me.

Next storm is forecast for Christmas here. I may need more straw.......

Mine never left the coop in winter until I installed the panels that prevent the snow from getting into their run. Now they hang outside all day, even now that it's 0 out. Brrrr! I don't have to feed them inside, which is really much more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom