Our coop, Form Follows Function

BerdooFarm

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
San Bernardino, California
Hi Folks, Here's a pic of our coop. I'm pretty proud of it. My dad and I built it over three days this past summer.
My carpenter son provided most of the wood from his construction site's "boneyard". That slick dual purpose sliding glass door was an old window that lay around the yard for years. It came in around sixty bucks to do.

The coop is 7' X 4', 4' tall from coop floor to roof. It has nesting boxes running the length on the back, three roosts running the length interior. A super cool feature I'd like to point out for anyone considering building is the sweet slide-out floor. It makes cleaning a breeze (just put a drop cloth on the ground beneath and slide) I can also stand inside of the coop when the floor is removed. Another tip for DIYers- We used self-tapping, inexpensive drywall screws. We used Thompson's Water Seal to preserve those beautiful natural hues and patinas.

It houses fourteen various chickens right now with plenty of room to spare.

DSC01799.jpg

Nice job. That idea of a slide out floor really sounds great. You will have to tell more about this one.
Andi

AHHHHH the old slide out floor trick!

Thats exactly what I want to put in the new coop.
nice job.

Telling the DW "thats why I haven't built the new coop yet, I need more good ideas!"

Thanks Tx and dragonchick Heh, heh, hubby accused me of being so anxious for a response , I made one up myself- my name is also Andi.
smile.png

a couple more pics-
inside view of floor nesting boxes in background
DSC01930.jpg

Floor partially opened to show frame
DSC01931.jpg

Another outside view with floor pulled out a bit- (And one of my boys behind the sapling)
DSC01932.jpg

Nesting boxes
DSC01933.jpg

I was so lucky my dad was visiting- He has a lot more knowledge of chickens and building. He basically took my plans and turned them upside down. I'd planned on having a hinged wall for interior access; cleaning etc. I'd planned on having the window in the middle of an end wall and a standard chicken door. His improvements were elegant in utilitarianism. I'd say "Bauhaus," cept this coop was every inch custom built on site.
The slide out floor is an easy, lightweight, one person deal. Letting the litter fall onto a drop cloth has worked great. I can simply roll it up and dump it straight into our compost drum. No shoveling at all.

Quote:
I am thinking that's DH's reason for not getting it done yet. He better get on the ball though. I have 27 month old chicks in a 6' brooder. Space is at a premium right now. Hes been procrastinating for 6 weeks already. Maybe hes waiting for cooler weather? Well winter is now blowing in so he better hurry up or I will chickens laying eggs in the bedroom. Just might let them nest on HIS side of the bed!!!!( chickens are in spare bedroom).
Andi

Great pictures. Maybe I can get DH to do something like this. I figure I will be the one doing all the work while he reaps the rewards(meat and eggs). Anything to make the job easier is a blessing.
Andi

dragonchick I hope you mean 27 week old chicks because 27 months is like a year and a quarter and they defanatly should be laying if they are 27months.
Henry

Actually I meant 27, 1 month old chicks. They were 4 weeks at last posting. They were hatched on the 9th of October. Sorry for the confusion. My eyes, hands and brain do not always communicate to convey the intended meaning. One is usually ahead of the others.

Back
Top Bottom