our coop & run

Siafu619

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
First time building a chicken coop, upcycled some materials, think it looks pretty cool! Most of the credit goes to the hubby for his building skills, i did most of the design.

Last edited:
excellent build... very very sturdy Love the fact you used hardware cloth.

I know you have it in the shade.... But double check your ventilation on the coop enclosure...

Its important to have good air exchange to keep humidity down.

Plus fresh air. some people put them in under the eaves.

deb

excellent build... very very sturdy Love the fact you used hardware cloth.

I know you have it in the shade.... But double check your ventilation on the coop enclosure...

Its important to have good air exchange to keep humidity down.

Plus fresh air. some people put them in under the eaves.

deb
Thanks!
It has the window in the front, and a few smaller vent holes in the back. I open the front window every day, and leave the door from the coop to the run open throughout the day. It's in a spot in the backyard that gets great breezes and cools down really nicely in the afternoon/evening, even on the hottest days of summer!

I need to paint the window frame and landscape around it, but for the most part it is done!!! 5 of my girls have moved in and are loving it!

Quote:
Oh goodie... My first coop was in Santee basically just an eight by six welded wire Cage with one solid wall. I covered it with tarps for winter... Had four Easter eggers in there... What silly silly girls they were. That was before the new laws allowing them in the city. and before Backyard chickens. I dont even think internet existed back then
gig.gif
. Im on San Diego meetup and chicken chat... Hope to see you on the next meetup.

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
.... My place now is in Jacumba... about sixty miles east in the desert... so I know hot.

deb

deb

I sooo love the pop of color against the grey... good good job guys. I bet its very cheerful at night too with those lights around the top...

deb
It is! We have a sandbox and a playset to the right, and a fire pit back there too! I love hanging out there by the fire in the evenings as the girls are winding down and going into their coop to sleep! I wanted to make sure we had a fun, colorful coop, and my almost 4 year old daughter picked out the colors and painted the chicken head above the hanging flower box. It was a fun family project and we are enjoying our silly girls, now we're waiting for eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom