Our dog just killed 4 of our chicks *UPDATE*

Relaxing with the Reds

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Well, what more can I say? Out of the 12, we only have one in our coop, who is in shock. The other 7 we haven't been able to find in our multi- acre forest. They are 6 weeks old, does any one think if they are still alive they will return to the coop? How long will a single chick survive without a friend? Any other suggestions? Yes, we are very sad here.
Thanks.

Well, 2 returned, so now we are missing 4, will they be able to find their way home? The sun will be setting in about 2 more hours.....

Last edited:
Oh.. my... If that happened to me i'd be a wreck!!!
hit.gif
Im sorry!!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry. I had a GS I had to re home because of this. It is hard for chicks to survive with their momma. Just keep looking for the others. They are probably scared and hiding. I hope you find them. Again I am sorry. I hope you find the rest of your chicks.
hugs.gif

Hi just the othe day an eagle came down and tryed to take my 2 month old chicks I thought 2 were gone 1 came home 5 hrs later the other 7. They where infront of the coop waiting to get in. Im sorry 4 your loss

I am so sorry, predators are every where. To be honest, I have never given a snake much thought as far as killing a chicken. That is a big snake. I don't blame you for destroying the snake. I know my hubby wouldv'e done the same thing. I hope there isn't anymore lurking about. DJ

Even if they are out over night, don't give up hope that at least some will return. We had the same thing happen on a Sunday morning and my son's Polish didn't come home until Monday evening just before their bedtime! They were about the same age as yours. Good Luck!

So sorry, I would imagine they would come eventually. Last friday I bought 3 chicks they were a day old. I took pics and was in the process of loading them so I could post they jumped overboard and the weenier dog was happliy sitting there to catch them in his mouth. I was upset but I couldn't be mad at him for long he was doing what is natural. No hubby on the other hand was ready to ship him off to a "farm".

Thank you for all of your kind words, we are still missing 3 chicks and to be honest I've started to accept that they are gone for good. I've searched the surrounding forest and found NO evidence of remains, but who is to say they weren't carried off somewhere? My 4 surviving chicks still will not come out of the coop, it has been 2 days since the attack, how long before I can expect them to return to their normal behavior? I guess this is all part of having animals but goodness I wish it wasn't such a sad experience. My DH started to install the electric fence on Sunday, I hope that cures any more losses. Thanks again everyone.
hide.gif
:love

Back
Top Bottom