Our English Orps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You all have no idea what you're asking for when you ask for more pictures:lau I have hundreds !!! I will post some if you want later.

Lildinkem - Yes, I'm aware that English breeders have used cochins in their programs to get the fluff. I just see WAY more Orpington in these birds than the cochin influence.

Orpington look is what they are striving for. To do an American UK version without having to import and the risks associated with that, I am surprised not too many folks here aren't trying that cross. UK style Orp and made here in the good ole USA with legal APA birds. The result may surprise alot of folks how quick you can make one.

Quote:
You all have no idea what you're asking for when you ask for more pictures:lau I have hundreds !!! I will post some if you want later.

ya.gif
clap.gif

Quote:
I agree with you... I wish somone would try it..the english will often take a bird they do not think have a ""finished look"" and add what they think will get to the results they are after..they have done it with several breeds.. Dont see why we cant do the same here...we fell far behind them when commercial breeds such as cornish and leghorns took over the food markets and we moved out into the work force , chicken breeding suffered until now with all of the renewed interest..fraid we lost a lot of good foundation stock to work with..Look at how many breeds were entered into the standard of perfection around the turn of the century and after 1940 look how it drops off to almost nothing, cause no one was working on project birds , the english never quit.
A few americans worked at it but not too many

The australorp people in new zeland and australia wanted a more streamline almost angular look to thiewr birds so they bred clean legged langshans and buff orps back in to create the modern look of the australorps ,Thou described as the bird of curves they wanted a more finished look so they worked at what they wanted. we are WAY far behind them but there are a few of us working at it..

This is a new blk buff orp I bought to add into my australorps next sprng..she has been dusted just as a precaution and came with pullorum and vaccine records. Vet said dust her just due to the mass of feathers and a trip from oklahoma to NY. You have to start somewhere so this is it

Cross this hen with a son of the below pictured hen, should be interesting to see improvements. While moving toward the modern type SLOWLEY..took them a long time , will take us a long time too.

results I am after, little more fluff and size, hopefully moving more toward the wonderful round eye of the below hen. Like I said it will take a while...they australians arnt selling any hatching eggs right now, they are rare as hen teeth to try and import, the good ones anyway.they are fighting over them over there and dont ever think you can get a good pullet either cause they wont part with those. Since I am very determined , I decided I can do it myself, kind of the long way around but seems to be the only way around.
35675_chicken_pics_033.jpg

35675_john_cabin_pics_352.jpg

Last edited:
Sooooo....when are you going to stop taunting us with these GORGEOUS pics and get some chocolate orp eggs!
tongue.png

Not sure what pictures I've already posted, but you asked for them....here are some pictures.

Minerva07-01-10.jpg

Chickens107-01-10.jpg

Clementine107-01-10.jpg

MinervaandMatilda02-20-10.jpg

ClementineandMinerva03-10-10.jpg

Minerva03-10-10.jpg

MinervaandClementine03-10-10.jpg

Minerva103-10-10.jpg

Winston03-10-10.jpg

WinstonandMinerva03-10-10.jpg

Winston303-10-10.jpg

Matilda02-16-10.jpg