Our favorite pancakes!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Our favorite pancakes are made from Aunt Jemimah Whole Wheat Pancake Mix. I haven't found another mix that makes such moist & flavorful pancakes. The ingredients seem fairly healthy and mostly pronouncable.

I've been boosting their nutrition by adding a banana & some wheat germ and using soy milk. I put the banana in the blender with the egg to really whip them up. And I'll often add an extra egg or two when I have them on hand.

Today I made them using only duck eggs and they came out especially well. I usually quadruple the recipe so there will be lots left over to reheat 'n' eat throughout the week. Today I used 4 C mix, 4 bananas, 6 duck eggs, 1/2 C wheat germ, 1 Qt soy milk, and 4 T oil.
yippiechickie.gif
They were deeeeeeeeeeLISHous!
wee.gif

A handy tool I use for cutting kids' pancakes is a pizza wheel.

I also add about 1/3 to 1/2 canned of pumpkin to the pancake mix. You then use cool whip on top in place of syrup. We had these at I-HOP and loved them in the fall!! I think I even sweetened the batter a bit. Haven't made any this year as yet. Just play with it.

my fave's are from a farmer who gave me HIS grandma's recipe...

you'll never eat a boxed mix again....

Grandmother Law's Buttermilk Pancakes

2 C. AP flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 C. veg. oil
2 1/4 C. buttermilk

mix dry ingredients. make a well in center. add liquid ingredients. mix until blended an no large lumps.

pour onto hot griddle. cook until they stop bubbling and then flip.
let them rise up and when they release from griddle easily, they are ready!

enjoy...my kids wont eat anything else now!

Ozark Hen, *thank you* for the idea about putting pumpkin puree in the pancakes. I just tried adding about a half cup of canned solid-pack pumpkin for each batch of A.J. WW Pancake Mix. It seemed to need a little extra milk to make the batter more pourable & the pancakes flatter, not as thick & tall. These were also dee-LISH-ous! What a great way to get more good vegs in my family!

Miss Prissy, when I have time I'd like to try your scratch recipe, and yours too, Miss Jayne. I'm not a fan of most convenience foods, but really, I haven't found many other pancake mixes or scratch recipes that are as good as Aunt Jemimah's Whole Wheat Blend. And the ingredients are all good, natural & wholesome, nothing artificial or high-fructose or chemical preservatives. A good thing to find on the regular grocery shelf, no need to run to a natural foods store for this. I like it better than any gourmet or health-food brand.

And we survived the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma, while our electricity was out for almost 2 weeks, by cooking Auntie J's pancakes over a camp fire in the back yard every morning, using powdered milk and fresh eggs from the hens who were still laying. My boys thought it was fantastic!

When I do have the time, here's a scratch pancake recipe we do like:

Pony Pancakes (because oats & apples make them so tasty!)
Combine:
1 1/4 C quick-cooking oats
1 1/4 C milk (skim, soy, lowfat)
Let sit & soak for 10 minutes, then add in & mix up:
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 T packed brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 T veg oil
2 T honey
1/2 t cinnamon
2 beaten eggs
1 C grated apple

...to make 12 pancakes. I have a boy who dislikes textured breads, so I blend the soaked oats & milk in the blender, and also blend the eggs with the apples to make them smooth. This recipe has so many different ingredients I like to triple or quadruple the recipe and make up a big batch all at once. These freeze nicely for later.

I can't eat pancakes.

I created "Moi's famous almost-pancakes"

Here's how I do it:

Gently fry 2 small low-carb tortillas in a little butter.

Dribble a tsp of sugar-free fruit spread along the middle of each -- you can use commercial, or homemade with Xylitol (I use partially dried apricots, plums or pears to make mine, because they are naturally lower in sugar and we have these trees).

Roll the tortillas up and place on a plate.

Top with homemade whipped cream (made with Xylitol). You can also use commercial whipped creams - they are all low in sugar and carbs.

Alternately, leave out the fruit and drizzle sugar-free maple syrup on top before you put on the whipped cream.

Scee-rumptious!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Ok, this is awful but I buy Batter Busters. Its next to the Redi-Whip in the refrigerated section. Its all organic. When my son wants pancakes on a school morning and I don't have time to make him pancakes I just squeeze him out a few. Don't have to make tons of batter for a couple of pancakes .

Back
Top Bottom