Our First Egg!!

semcat66

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Florence, Montana
yesss.gif

Just out laying in the dead stubble of the back of our lot...she apparently was pacing at the end of the run that faces this area and when DH let them out to range, she ran directly over there - out of sight because it's behind our wood pile. Not sure exactly how old she is...we got her and her "sister" from the feed store about 1 week after Easter and I'd say they weren't more than a week old. Her sister was acting a little odd later this morning...not sure but I think she was performing the egg song I keep reading about. Have searched high and low but found no other eggs. DH is busy putting the nesting boxes together now :)

It seems a bit small but other than that, no issues that I see. Guess it's time to switch them over to laying feed and get some oyster shell for them :)

I'll have to find a picture of her and her sister so I can ask for help in identifying their breed - I'm sure the gal at the feed store told us, but I've forgotten.

So excited, I just had to share
wee.gif

Susan

Last edited:
So we found a second egg last evening - 98% sure it was the same hen. Is it normal for young hens to lay more than one egg per day when they first start laying? Found egg #3 this morning - outside the coop, even though we put fake egg in one of the nesting boxes. We put that egg in with the fake egg, we're hoping that will encourage her to lay in the box. Should we keep all of the hens inside the run with open access to the coop for a day or two? I want to try to encourage them all to lay in the boxes so we don't have to hunt for eggs over our acre of ground.

Thought I would add a picture of the of one of the chickens who is laying - she and the other laying hen are the same breed, but we are not sure what breed that is...lol. She is the hen on the left.

We had our first breakfast of freshly laid eggs yesterday - delicious!!

Back
Top Bottom