Our first incubation attempt!

The indoor temp on mine is always high too. I just ignore it now. The probe (outdoor) temp seems to be within about 0.5-1 degree of the regular thermometer. The hygrometer calibrated about 4% lower then actual.
I think my Wyandotte just gave up today. LOL. And this all started because of her. I decided it wasn't worth keeping her in and let her out to go back to her nest this morning. I was planning to just chance putting a few of the eggs under her (marking them so I could remove any newly laid eggs). Well- she's been out in the yard with the others for the last hour........ Hmmmmm. We will see if she heads back soon but certainly in this weather that would be a long cold spell on an egg even if she does. Guess we will hand raise these babies if they hatch! Next time I guess. Speaking of next time- I have mixed feelings on letting her raise them in the coop with the others. Advantages: Easy, less worry about integration (assuming the rest of the hens don't cause problems and she is able to protect them), fun to watch her with the babies. Disadvantages: She may not be dedicated and may nest swap or leave them too long, the others may pick at the babies, the height of the nest, the babies may be less friendly. Thoughts? Experiences? I appreciate the advice above.

welcome-byc.gif

Good Luck! Our first hatch went well, so why not yours!

Update:
The broody hen gave up for sure. But the incubator is still chugging along. We are at 2 weeks now (placed the eggs in the incubator the night of 1/12. We candled at 7 days. 1 LO appeared to be a dud. We did see movement in a small LO egg. The blue eggs were tough to see anything. The others seemed to have some development- veins, dark area. I just candled again today. The LO we questioned the first time definitely seems to be a dud (still having a hard time making myself consider removing it), one of the Lavender Ameraucana eggs appears to be a dud. The small LO egg that we initially saw movement in isn't looking too good- no movement, the dark area is small.
sad.png
But- of the other 9 they all seem to have veins, good development and confirmed movement in 6. I guess we will know in about a week!

Back
Top Bottom