Our first meat bird (chicken) adventure

Captain Quark

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I've had quail for a couple years now, mostly for eggs but I've processed and eaten a few. We couldn't get the normal organic farmer to grow out chickens for us this year so we ventured into doing it ourselves.

I was hopeful that it would be like having large quail and in many respects it's similar though chickens really are chicken! Not much brave curiosity in my chicken group - compared to quail who are constantly in my way when I try to do anything in the pen because they are so curious.

We had the "day olds" inside for two days. My guess is they were three or four days old when we got them as some were getting feathers already. After the growth of only two days we revised quickly and brooded them outside. Quail are so little I just was not prepared for how much space 34 chicken chicks would take up.

Luckily it was an early and hot start to the summer and there were only a couple nights where it dropped to 4 C overnight. They all did great!

I tried to introduce fermented organic feed right away, and much like quail chicks, they were not having that! It took about a week to transition them to fully fermented feed.

I'm surprised by how picky they are about what bugs they will or will not eat. It's true the Cornish x are lazy laying down to eat birds so I keep raising the feeder to force them to stand up. We have 32 female Cornish x and two male red ranger. The rangers also lay down to eat.

We started them in an outdoor coop from day 3 of having them and at 2.5 weeks opened up the coop to a fenced in run. After two days they got the idea of how to come and go from inside the coop to outside to pick at bugs and plants. They haven't shown any interest in veg or fruit scraps. Once they started putting themselves to bed in the coop at night (only took a few days) I opened up the fence to let them free range.

As these are my first outdoor birds at all I was afraid they would all run away and I would be searching out chickens all evening. Turns out that once again chickens are chicken and only a couple of them were brave enough to venture a few feet outside the open fence. I think the area is too open and exposed so will try a more sheltered side tomorrow.

It's been an easy and happy experience so far and we are excited to be growing more of our own food!

Attachments

• 6306F720-3C2E-4178-BA70-B151CB3EF4E0.jpeg
    6306F720-3C2E-4178-BA70-B151CB3EF4E0.jpeg
    781.8 KB · Views: 60
  • CB09F06A-0B51-43D1-928F-AAA084ABFFAF.jpeg
    CB09F06A-0B51-43D1-928F-AAA084ABFFAF.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 22B60FFC-D795-4D03-B403-441C9EFED469.jpeg
    22B60FFC-D795-4D03-B403-441C9EFED469.jpeg
    912.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 4AE98E97-0FA9-4E71-BFB9-889D08474B23.jpeg
    4AE98E97-0FA9-4E71-BFB9-889D08474B23.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 05EED8CC-288A-4175-9701-880B78C3D084.jpeg
    05EED8CC-288A-4175-9701-880B78C3D084.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 73BE6801-3B86-4CEC-AA8A-15BF98C6E59B.jpeg
    73BE6801-3B86-4CEC-AA8A-15BF98C6E59B.jpeg
    843.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 238C79AB-4EE4-4196-90F5-C37942A3ECDE.jpeg
    238C79AB-4EE4-4196-90F5-C37942A3ECDE.jpeg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like they're doing great! Here are a couple articles you may find interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-x-for-health-hardiness-and-efficiency.76068/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...inners-overview-setup-cost-and-results.75951/
I'm curious about the feed based on measuring vs timed feeding. I haven't dug into the research on that side of things yet. So far I've been doing a twice daily feeding, and using it for training purposes - I move the feed out like you mentioned in your tractor portion - so I put it outside of the coop in the morning to encourage them to come out and do some wandering. I weighed them a few days ago and they were slightly above average for their weight by age, but I figured that might be based on the age of them when I got them. I love the learning you get to do with first time experiences!

Latest update : we had a girl die of what looked like heart failure. I think I didn't cool them off fast enough on a hot day a few days ago and she went down hill from there. I had her inside on electrolytes and was syringe feeding her but she was too far gone once I realized the severity of it. Down to 33 chickens.

Weights are coming in a bit too high I think. Going to start measuring food. They are all fully free ranging and eating bugs and greens so hopefully that will help tide them over. They eat a massive amount of food. They will nearly all eat the fermented now.

Had to buy a second 3 gal water container. They went through one in two days so I figure we will need more going forward.

Attachments

• 3E99EA6B-9237-4AE9-AE4C-9942ABC22708.jpeg
    3E99EA6B-9237-4AE9-AE4C-9942ABC22708.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Latest update : we had a girl die of what looked like heart failure. I think I didn't cool them off fast enough on a hot day a few days ago and she went down hill from there. I had her inside on electrolytes and was syringe feeding her but she was too far gone once I realized the severity of it. Down to 33 chickens.

Weights are coming in a bit too high I think. Going to start measuring food. They are all fully free ranging and eating bugs and greens so hopefully that will help tide them over. They eat a massive amount of food. They will nearly all eat the fermented now.

Had to buy a second 3 gal water container. They went through one in two days so I figure we will need more going forward.
You may want to see how warm the water is in the day. I was at 57 chickens and I have 4.5 gallons between 2 waterers, I was filling them morning and evening. And sometimes they were empty by then. If the water temperature is pretty warm also then they won't drink as much as they should which can really contribute to heat stress.

You may want to see how warm the water is in the day. I was at 57 chickens and I have 4.5 gallons between 2 waterers, I was filling them morning and evening. And sometimes they were empty by then. If the water temperature is pretty warm also then they won't drink as much as they should which can really contribute to heat stress.
Thanks I'll check! I know the fermented feed cuts down dramatically on how much they drink. I'll keep watch!

Turns out the water temperature does make a difference, thank you for this! I've tested moving the water buckets to different areas and adding some ice to it on the really hot days we have had recently. They definitely prefer the cold water, so I'm using more ice routinely on the hot days to keep it cool and moved it to a heavier shade area.

Back
Top Bottom