Our first Peafowl.....can they roost with our chickens??

petitesphinx

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Alabama
We finally got our first Peafowl; I have been DREAMING about owning a pair since I was a weeee little thing.

We have them in a dog kennel/crate in the chicken coop (VERY large coop-half side of whole barn) so they know where they are.

Questions:

Can they roost with our chickens and guineas?

How long do we need to keep them in the cage before setting them free to roam the yard?

They don't seem to want to eat the chicken feed we have for the chickens, is it the wrong feed or are they just settling in?

Will they hurt or eat our little chicks that are in the coop with them?

Thank you thank you!! I'm new at chickens and super new at having Peafowl!!
lol.png

how old are the peafowl? I dont mixes chicken with peafowl. I know many do,and if you free range them little harm in free range them together.
Welcome too the peafowl world.

birds048.jpg

Thank you! We plan to let our roam around are yard (12 acres in the middle of the country) so we're hoping they're plenty safe.

Is that your bird?? He is STUNNING!! Wow! We got one male and 2 girls (peahens?) and they're white with the browns, greens and blues. The seller said that they can throw whites, blues or browns when they lay. I'm crossing my fingers for a pure white!!

Great question, I should know this! Oh, I'll have to call the guy. I believe they're under two. They have feathers and are quite large, but I don't think they're over two.

Yes he is one of mine.

Best to keep your pen for about 6 weeks before letting them free range. then make sure no Dogs around to scare them. Let the peacock out first he should stay around the peahens.

Sound like you have pieds or silver pied. Pied X pied = 25% white chicks. By brown are they Cameo or Bronze???

If 2 yr. now the peacock should have a full train this spring. Will breed at 2yr old.

Here is a pic. of a purple pied.

birds056.jpg

Mine looks like that pic but a lot of green instead of blue (don't know what kind they are). But he hasn't spread his wings for us yet. We got them Tuesday and kept them in the large kennel inside the barn/coop for a few days. I just let them out to walk inside the coop now (is that too early?) but won't let them outside to room for a few weeks, then.

They just walked around and didn't bother the chickens in the coop (as of yet).

14699_peacok.jpg

14699_peafowl.jpg

Last edited:
i have my peachick in with my turkey and chickens they seem to all get along....when i let them free range one day one of my peachicks and a turkey poult flew the coop lol....looked and looked but never did i find them dead or alive...so as of now they are staying inside the fenced area....thankful i still have one peachick and one turkey poult left.....ronnie

Chickens can carry diseases that they pass to peafowl & turkey, yet no harm to the chickens.(blackhead for one)
Yes I know many people run them together. With no harm.

I have over 70 breeder peafowl, so I dont take the risk!!

Most time they are ok , but if you do have trouble with diseases. That the first thing I would change.

Peafowl get along with other Poultry.

Back
Top Bottom