Our first peafowl

TinkleTurkey

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Palmdale
These are my first ever peafowl, starting out with just two chicks this year because our facilities are still under construction

They seem to be very tame - in fact, these are the most desperate birds I've ever seen. They are completely distraught when they can't get up on someone's shoulder.
I know they won't stay this tame... what are your experiences with hand raising peafowl and how did they turn out as adults?

53520_img_8287.jpg

53520_img_8292.jpg

53520_img_8302.jpg

From my experience with peafowl double the size of your pens now as you are building them it will save time adding on later
smile.png
And from looking at the pics probably triple them at least.

Ours will eat out of your hand that's about as far as we have gone taming them. I would think they could become very tame if you keep working with them.

Steve

I have 2 males and 3 females that are very tame. The 2 males I can go and pick them up and carry them around. All 5 of them will stick their necks out and wait for me to scratch their chins. I think it is nice to have at least a few peafowl that are very tame. Hubby didn't lock the door behind him once to the pen and a bunch of the not so tame ones got out. I took out my tame ones and the rest followed them back to the pen.

thanks guys. i'll be happy as long as they are managable and dont run away from me. I'm just astounded at how needy these little peas are!

I think they're black shoulder not sure, still learning about peafowl...

Yes, and if you have them really spoiled they will make this low pitched "weep" noise when they can't be right next to you and that gets really annoying after a while, I raised one a couple years ago and she is very tame now but she HAD to be right there, you're right. At least you have yours a friend. Baby chickens are so much easier to raise. Njoy them!

Quote:
Not blackshoulders, or they would be yellow with cream color flight feathers.

pic of peach blackshoulder...

peachicks008.jpg

pic of purple BS

peachicks016.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom