Our first try at hatching...tuesday's the big day!!!

jfergz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Ashley, Ohio
My son is in 4H at the end of last year he decided to add fancy chickens to his list of projects. He bought a pair of silver phoenix's, long story short to our excirement she started laying not too long ago. We have incubated 11 eggs, it looks like 6 are going to make it. Is there anything else we should do now? They should start hatching on tuesday, we have kept the temp at 99.5, humidity's good, and used an automatic turner. We took the eggs out of the turner today and put them on the screen in the bator. should we keep turning them by hand now or leave them alone, also is there anything we should look for as far as a chick maybe needing help getting out of the egg. I have read a few posts and noticed the mention of shrink wrapping. what is it and what should we look for.
Thanks in advanced and we'll get some pictures up of our little guys asap

Ok so I just found out I missed something when I was finding out how to incubate the eggs... I've kept the humidity around 60% the entire time I didn't realize I shoud've raised the humidity level. will this affect our hatch I raised the level least night after finding it I'm hoping that we are still okay

Thank you!!! we must have done something right just checked on the eggs, not sure what to call it but I can hear them and two are starting to break out of their shells!!! can't wait for my son to get home he's going to be so excited

Last edited:
YAHOoo! Thats great! When they make a little hole they call that peeping and then they will do what is call zipping...when they start to break out of the shell!

Last edited:
This is so exciting, we have one that has completely cleard the egg, three more are zipping, and we have 2 more due to hatch thurs. or fri. managed to get an amazing video of our first hatch!!! we'll be getting some pictures soon

congrats to you!
ya.gif
that is awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom