Our flock was decimated.

So sorry about your loss. The 30-06 is plenty for a bear. We have them in the yard every year. I hunt them 200 yards behind the house from time to time. Really look into an electric fence. Fairly inexpensive for what they do and it will save your coop. That should stop them cold, but an 30-06 does a permanent job. I prefer to hunt them with a bow. I do own a cantankerous old pot bellied pig who took on a bear about his size. He lost half of one ear, but sent the bear packin. Couldn't get to my rifle fast enough, but the pig won the day.

Last edited:
hang in there!!
hugs.gif

Electric fence with a strong fencer (I know it keeps them out of my horse pasture), and maybe Turkeyrangler would lend you his ferocious pig?
smile.png
Just trying to make you smile.

I am actually appreciative that you posted this. My husband insists a bear is not going to bother our coop, but we have them all over the place and I just know they will sooner or later, so I am going to have him read your post.

Quote:
Absolutely no experience with a bear. Thinking about it, I agree with Orchid-----

Electric fence is about the only half sure way.

A animal the size and strength of a bear with the determination of a predator, in reality I don't think no amount of wire, 2x4s, 2x6s and galvanized screws will keep them out. If they are given the time to work on it.

I think the best option is the 30.06 option, however, I think a better longterm option might be electric poultry netting. I've been using electric poultry netting from Kencove for just over a year now and have never lost chicken to a predator. I would suggest the netting that alternates the horizontal strands between Pos and Neg this way the predator grounds on the fence. I'd also use a two joule fence charger. Here's the link: Kencove.

Last edited:
So sorry. We have lost most of our flock too. Just wondering...What is a floating nest. Have ducks in our pond and would like to find a way to make them safer. Pictures?

As for electric fencing, I spent a small fortune on premier webbed fencing and chargers and could never get their recommended solar charger to work well. Had better success with an electric charger but after several months it melted the fence. After spending about $700, one year later the both fences are pretty much destroyed and I have lost more than 40 chickens and one turkey. I am ready to go back to traditional fencing. I have never had a year where I lost this many birds. Maybe one or two. We are so sad.

Motion activated lights will work to deter them...for awhile. Once they figure out nothing happens after the light comes on, it's over. They're very intelligent. If someone with knowledge of electronics could somehow attach sound to the light coming on...something loud like an air horn...they will stay away. Your neighbors may hate you & it may scare the bejesus out of you when it goes off, but it should work. As a zookeeper that takes care of bears, I carry a small air horn on me at all times just in case.

Back
Top Bottom