Our flock was decimated.

Mangled if your think a bear is out there and you cant see it see if your husband has a shot gun you can fire it into the air bird shot will fall harmlessly to the groung cant do that with a rifle but a few 12 ga shots will spook a bear... As far as fence fencers are sold by miles they cover I own a 150 mile fencer and I tripped into it the wire got me 3 times and burned a line into my skin... I tink Id use at least 14 ga wire BUT IF YOU WANT GUARANTEED BEAR PROOF YOU NEED HIGH TENSILE... OH if you dont want to do high tensile put in some wooden posts and use t posts every 10 ft and try barbed wire with the electric fencer itll keep em out...

Yes, this is an old post, but thought it important to make a correction to some information about bears.

A 30-06, as well as most high powered rifles (and of course lesser powered) can ricochet off a charging bear's skull. If they are coming at you, you must aim lower and hit them in the chest. Taking out the lungs and/or heart will stop the bear, but not for about 20-30 seconds or so.

A bear can be taken with a shotgun, but you likely don't want to bet on it.

DCNR relocates 'trouble' bears above our place, so we always expect trouble from bears.

- JC

Back
Top Bottom