Our flock was decimated.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mangled, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Thursday night we had a bear attack. We figure there were two or more bears. Possibly a mother and two cubs.

Our coops are destroyed. 1/2 plywood was splintered. We constructed with 2x4 and 2x6 boards. The doors had heavy-duty strap hinges and latches that were screwed in with 2 inch galvanized screws. Everything was layed to waste.

There are currently 2 leghorn hens, a RIR hen, a turkey and a bantam Sumatra left of my 50+ flock. The ducks were not harmed, as they were at the pond on the floating nest.

My husband was out on a double, and with the air conditioners running, and our coop being a good distance from the house, I didn't know anything happened until I went out around 6:30 to open them up.

So, I'm left with the results of my hatch from a week ago, which is 18 leghorn chicks, and a few battered hens.

I'm pretty sure we're selling off the chicks and quitting the chicken thing.
    My heart is just broken.
    Em

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. FlyingFChick

FlyingFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Milford, Michigan
    I am sooooo sorry for your loss!!! Please don't give up!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
  6. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    So sorry for your loss ! I'd probably be ready to throw in the towel myself so I understand how you feel.

Please be careful because they might come back again thinking there's another easy meal to be had.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry this happened to you and your chickens. When bear season comes around remember this and invite everyone you know to come hunting. I know the bear were doing what comes natural to them but it still hurts.

8. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    WOW! [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. I would say it will be back also. Its time for a bear trap!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    What a horrible experience, I am so sorry [​IMG].

Bears are hard to beat, smart and strong.

10. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, everyone.

My husband has been outside all day, salvaging what we can of the wood.

On a bright note, the other "crazy chicken lady" down the street goes to my church, and after I told her what happened, stopped up with a bunch of fertile hatching eggs for me. She has a big Brahma roo and a mix of EE, SLW, RIR, and Brahma hens. They'll be mutts for the most part, but I don't care. My husband insists that we keep chickens. I guess I'd miss not having them around.

We called the Game Commission (worthless pieces of chicken poo that they are) and they are supposed to stop up with a bear trap. I told them we'll shoot to kill if we see them. The remaining chickens won't even get close to us now, I'm afraid they'll fall victim to predators if I can't get them in.

What a mess.

Em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by